DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

dual fuel heat pump - no heat without propane

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  sweetfarm 
#1 ·
Hi we live in a house with a Coleman dual fuel furnace. This will be our 4th winter in this house with this heating system. The heat pump provides heat down to 32°. After that temperature the propane kicks and in provides the heat. As of right now we do not have a propane tank. We had planned to move before winter and had no propane so we had the tank picked up. We are having nights in the 40's and need some heat. The heat pump outside will not run on a heat cycle. It works perfectly fine fine in ac mode but no heat. We have got it to come on in heat mode but only for a few minutes. It switches to propane even though it is not cold enough for it. Since we don't have any propane, how can I get the heat pump to provide heat and stop switching to propane? It seams like I need to rewire the thermostat around the propane so that it doesn't have that option. What would cause the system to stop working properly and keep switching to propane? Any help will be appreciated.

#3 ·
It worked

I disconnected w2 in the thermostat and it started working right away. It is there a sensor or thermostat outside that chooses between the heat pump and propane? If so how do I find it and test it for function when I finally have more propane? Thank you for the quick response.

#4 ·
no heat again

We now have no heat again. The outside temperature dropped below 32° and the heat pump shut down. The system was set up this way to work with propane when the temperature is below freezing. How can I override this feature? We will not have propane or a tank for another month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.