Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Dual Climate (1st floor / 2nd Floor)

Dual Climate (1st floor / 2nd Floor) via central force air.

Is there anyway to do this (properly) without 2 furnaces and 2 a/c?

TIA

abefroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

How it Works

Convert a standard heating and cooling system into a system that provides independent temperature control of two zones within a home. Simply install a thermostat in each zone and then wire them to the HVAC 2-Zone Controller. Install dampers in the ducts feeding the different zones and wire those back to the zone controller. Finally, connect the zone controller to your heating/cooling system. The zone controller will automatically coordinate damper and HVAC system control to maintain the temperatures set in each zone. The HVAC 2-Zone Controller includes a thermal equalizer feature that's ideal for two-story homes. It uses timed recirculating cycles during lower floor heat calls to prevent excessive heat build-up in upper floors. This also helps save energy by recycling heat back to the lower floor.

http://www.smarthome.com/3038A/HVAC-...troller/p.aspx

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:47 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,734

What about a bypass damper. Most existing duct systems will need one in order to not over heat the heat exchanger, or freeze up the A/C coil.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
REP

Rewards Points: 500

I think Doc was going to mention the bypass but I think he ran out of,,,,,,ink with that answer.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

Nope, I wasn't. I dont know enough to have thought aboutthat.just trying to help someone. Out.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:20 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 506

I was looking into this for my 3-level townhouse and it looks pretty doable from a theoretical perspective. Lots of good zone controllers and motorized dampers out there. And you do need a bypass zone (or a dump zone) to keep the blower from putting too much cfm into one zone... but then you are recycling heated or cooled air back to the air handler and might eventually freeze the coil when cooling or get near the high temp cutout limit when heating. The more sophisticated zone controllers have plenum temp sensors that will keep that from happening.

I said "theoretical" because in my case the furnace, supply plenum, and return dropdown are shoehorned into a small util room. Putting in a damper for the upstairs feed would be very difficult due to no accessible straight rectangular section. And there is no real room to tap into the plenum for the bypass without making some sort of special wide flat connector. And no real space to actually run the bypass duct.

But if I had a multi-level place with a nice accessible util plant I would definitely do this. Looks like a fun project and would improve comfort and save $.
raylo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Nope, I wasn't. I dont know enough to have thought aboutthat.just trying to help someone. Out.
Next time your gonna help someone out with zoning,. Check in Evirozone. Still need a bypass. But, its an auto mastering system. Will never short cycle the equipment because one zone calls shortly after the other, as many other zone systems do
Old 09-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Next time your gonna help someone out with zoning,. Check in Evirozone. Still need a bypass. But, its an auto mastering system. Will never short cycle the equipment because one zone calls shortly after the other, as many other zone systems do

So what is the purpose of a bypass? And why only on zoned systems?
Old 09-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

lets say you have a house that needs 2.5 tons of A/C, and thats what size A/C it has, or your going to install. So you also sell the customer on a 3 zone system. Zone 1 needs 400CFM, zone 2 300CFM and zone 3 also needs 300 CFM.

Hang on. Got an important commercial service call I must go to. Will finish when i get back.
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
Doc Holliday (09-14-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Ok, got that one done.

So zone 1 needs 400CFM, zone 2 300CFM and zone 3 also needs 300 CFM.

When only zone 1 is calling, the A/C still needs more air moving across the coil then zone one can handle. So the bypass opens up and lets the extra air flow back into the return, to maintain enough air flow. If a second zone opens, then the bypass closes some, so there is enough air to supply the 2 calling zones. if the third zones also calls at the same time, then the bypass closes the whole way, so all the zones get the air they need.

The bypass is sized to the smallest zone. So that in this example, it would be sized to bypass 700 CFM.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
I'm Your Huckleberry

Now I'm interested in your service call. What was it? You were gone for quite some time.

That makes sense, thanks. What happens if there's no damper. I ask because I've seen the bypass duct without dampers before or at least I think I have.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

A bypass with no damper can cause poor air flow when all zones are open, and is often over sized, and tends to either freeze up the coil or the discharge air temp sensor gets too cold, and shuts the system down.

Service call was a bad blower motor on a twinned 30 ton system, and then a water sourced unit had a leak in the evap, LOL, still does, but I topped it off for the night.

The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
Doc Holliday (09-15-2011)