Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #1

Share |

Dryer venting.

I'm not a pro in hvac. I have a question about my clothes dryer.

My new dryer position is at the front of the house (only a 6 foot run for vent). The side of house, which seems more appropriate, is a 20 foot run.

I think the best solution is keeping the outside aesthetically pleasing (meaning no steam near the front door). Also, the 20 foot run will have to go up to ceiling, across (between floor joists) 15 foot room, and through basement block wall. The ceiling will then be drywalled(maybe).

Is "rigid plastic pipe" code? Does this whole scenario raise a red flag for safety, or does it seem too labor intensive just for aesthetics?

Thank you and short answers are perfectly acceptable.

Last edited by Squeakyhinge; 01-29-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Squeakyhinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
Experienced

Dryer venting.

Thats funny, I had a similar situation in my last house, and I changed it from what you are proposing to the front of the house, very short run as opposed to the way it was a 25' run.

The reason I changed it was the long ducting, 4" galvanized, would clog and had to be cleaned every couple of months.

The exhaust would cool down and the lint would fall out of the air stream and clog the pipe, the short run never needed cleaning and the reduced back pressure on the drier exhaust improved dry times by at least 20%.

Some food for thought.

If you are going to do it, I believe code is metal piping.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackofall1 For This Useful Post:
Squeakyhinge (01-29-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #3

Dryer venting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Thats funny, I had a similar situation in my last house, and I changed it from what you are proposing to the front of the house, very short run as opposed to the way it was a 25' run.

The reason I changed it was the long ducting, 4" galvanized, would clog and had to be cleaned every couple of months.

The exhaust would cool down and the lint would fall out of the air stream and clog the pipe, the short run never needed cleaning and the reduced back pressure on the drier exhaust improved dry times by at least 20%.

Some food for thought.

If you are going to do it, I believe code is metal piping.
Thank you very much, funny signature.
Now I'm wandering about those ventless dryers... heard about them in a condominium, where for some reason they had no venting. But I'd actually be curious about some retrofit system and I wonder how much they cost. Surprised they are not more popular...must be some bugaboo about them.

Thanks again for previous reply, sorry about your previous "learning situation" you get the good samaritan award...curious where's your "thanks" tabulation?
Squeakyhinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #4

Dryer venting.

Code is Aluminum pipe, due to the moisture content of said air being vented out. Also make sure you tape joints with aluminum tape instead of screws. Common sense I know but you would not believe how many I have re-vented and how many times I see screws that do nothing but catch lint on the way out.

The shorter and more accessible the run the better. Check into an exterior clean out vent cover if going above a rock lid. Then you can feed a shop vac hose in and remove lint build up.
shoothebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shoothebunnies For This Useful Post:
Squeakyhinge (01-30-2011)