Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

dryer venting

I will be using metal ducts of course and the run with the least # of elbows will drop down into crawl, needs to go underneath a double beam, then run between joists and I have a straight run of about 10' where I need to angle duct slightly upwards to exit through band board (I am pretty sure i can do this part w/out an elbow) . total run @ 20'. It isn't that big of a deal to run duct "uphill" like this is it? thanks

Last edited by ugabulldog; 01-09-2011 at 08:51 AM.
ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #2

dryer venting

Direction doesn't matter with a drier vent. Twenty foot, including the equivlant length for elbows, is good. It's been a while since I did any duct work but I believe an el is equal to 5' of hard pipe.

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Chicago, IL

dryer venting

If it's an unheated crawl, and you are in a cold climate, you may get condensation in the exhaust line, which will run downhill to the low point of any "reversed pitched" sections.

This condensation can be substantial:

Homeowner account of water build-up in dryer vent

and I have seen large pools of water condensed in clothes dryer exhausts standing on plastic vapor barriers at crawl space floors at home inspections here in Chicago.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 01-14-2011 at 05:02 AM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

dryer venting

most dryers can be vented a total of about 35' without any problems. you must include elbows which will be equivelant to 4' per elbow. but as was mentioned I'd be very concerned about running uphill as it will build up condensation and lint
hardwareman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #5

dryer venting

Aren't a good many vents run vertically??? (which is alot more sloped obviously than I'm talking about)...
Old 01-10-2011, 01:06 AM   #6

dryer venting

My dryer vent is pretty much vertical
bbguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:14 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4

dryer venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugabulldog View Post
Aren't a good many vents run vertically??? (which is alot more sloped obviously than I'm talking about)...
Most of those vertical ones. Are insulated, and or the majority of the run is in conditioned space, or inside a interior wall that is warmer then your crawlspace. So condensate formation isn't a problem.

Those vertical runs that are not insulated, are also often the ones that clog up with lint in a very short time. Due to condensate allowing the lint to collect in the pipe quicker.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #8

dryer venting

ug, make sure it is wrapped with insulation and a v.b. Use 45* elbows rather than 90*s for less resistance of the air-flow. Use a Type “A” hood for 50% more exhausting opening; http://www.appliance411.com/faq/dryer-vent-length.shtml

Follow the manufacturer’s suggestions for duct length/elbows/etc.

Termination hood minimum 3’ from any building openings, furnace air supply, doors, operable windows, etc.; http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...002_par002.htm

Foil tape all joints, even on the independent elbows that you don’t adjust. 45 down, then run level, 45 up so the angle ducting length is shorter…..

Gary
Old 01-11-2011, 06:08 AM   #9
Chicago, IL

dryer venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Termination hood minimum 3 from any building openings, furnace air supply, doors, operable windows....
... and air conditioner condenser units.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Thomas For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (01-11-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #10

dryer venting

Quote:
ug, make sure it is wrapped with insulation and a v.b. Use 45* elbows rather than 90*s for less resistance of the air-flow. Use a Type A hood for 50% more exhausting opening;
Gary
what is a v.b.? thanks
Old 01-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #11
Chicago, IL

dryer venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugabulldog View Post
what is a v.b.? thanks
Vapor barrier, goes on outside of insulation when insulating a dryer exhaust line, in this illustration it's the foil on the outside of the insulation.

Note: The above picture illustrates a vent for a bathroom fan, code prohibits the use of fasteners protruding into dryer vents as they can catch lint.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 01-14-2011 at 05:04 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:18 AM   #12

dryer venting

Quote:
Foil tape all joints, even on the independent elbows that you don’t adjust. 45 down, then run level, 45 up so the angle ducting length is shorter…..

Gary
so you're saying it is better to add an extra set of 45 elbows (where the elbows would have toslope down at low spot) and have pipe slope down than to slope pipe up at @ 5 degree angle for 10' and eliminate that set of 45 elbows?
Old 01-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #13

dryer venting

The 45's are better at not restricting the air flow (catching condensation/lint sticking) than a 90*. You can slope the pipe without an ell, fine. Just try to keep the air flow without SHARP bends (turbulence).

Gary
Old 01-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #14

dryer venting

The foil tape as mentioned is a must, not duct tape which is ironically, not for ducts. Also no sheet metal screws. They catch lint. A run like that also needs to be cleaned out with a vent brush. Browse through my project thread Jim's downstairs bathroom project to see what can happen with a poorly installed dryer vent under the floor.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #15
BLB

Thumbs down

dryer venting

BLB any up hill 45 or90 "will collect lint " clean offen.Ever seen a flash lint fire from static electricity and fire hazard.wosh instant blaze.

BLB is offline   Reply With Quote