Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2011, 11:14 PM   #1

Share |

Dryer Vent

Hello,

This is my first time posting on the site and I am hoping someone has an answer for my question.

I am a first time home buyer and have been living in my condo for approximately 1 month. It has recently been getting down to about -30 degree C over night. My unit is a corner unit and the dryer duct runs straight out the wall to the outside (so approximately a 3-4 foot distance from the inside wall to the outside.) Basically when I open my dryer I can almost see my breath. Is there anyway to insulate or stop this cold air from getting into my dryer and into my place (my washer and dryer is in my washroom) So this makes showers and my place very cold.

I don't think simply insulating this line will help. I have base board heating and fear I will get freezing pipes etc. I also fear there is no way to fix this problem as the length of the exhaust duct is so small it won't matter what I do. The cold air has a direct path into my house (with the exception of a small flap on the outside of the building.

Thanks,

Dave

dhickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 AM   #2
HVAC Supermodel

Dryer Vent

What type of termination do you have?

unicursalhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:13 AM   #3

Dryer Vent

Hey unicursalhex thanks for the quick response

I have the bottom type vent. Not the louver.
dhickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:38 AM   #4
HVAC Supermodel

Dryer Vent

Make sure the flap is not stuck open, if its open even a little it can let alot of cold air in. Other than that there's not much else I can think of to prevent that.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #5

Dryer Vent

If you have room to pull your dryer out from the wall a few inches you could create a trap in the venting by placing 4-90 degree elbows in the line. 1-up, 1-over, 1 down and 1 out. That will make a heat trap that will help to prevent the cold draft. Don't use screws in the vent, tape the joints and see if that does the trick. 4" aluminum elbows would be best.
HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #6

Dryer Vent

The main problem I have found with the bottom one pictured is dryer lint builds up at the top hinge point, leaving the flapper door slightly ajar when closed. Use a Type "A" that opens 6o% more, notice the top thickness at the flapper; http://www.appliance411.com/faq/dryer-vent-length.shtml

I would not recommend extra elbows to restrict the flow, creating air flow turbulence to deposit more wet lint from the short, abrupt right-angle direction changes......

Gary