Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #1

Share |

Dryer and bathroom fan venting

Hi, This is probably a pretty basic question but HVAC is not my world so pardon the ignorance. I was helping a friend with some small issues around his condo and noticed a lot of condensation around his bathroom ceiling light/fan combo. When I pulled it down we found an incredible amount of lint. So much so that it would appear that it's from the dryer? I'm guessing that they run the fan while the shower is in use and because of the lint, the moisture isn't really going anywhere. When the fan is running it doesn't seem to be pulling much air. My only experience with clothes dryer vents is in basements when it vents out of a short <4' length to the outside. This dryer is in the middle of their unit and likely in line with the bathroom (which is at the outside wall) fan. Is this correct? Offhand I don't recall seeing any lint trap other than the one on the dryer itself. This is 100 year old complex but all of the units have roughly the same set up and layout. Thanks for any input.

Matt Tennessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #2

Dryer and bathroom fan venting

first run dryer and see if you feel hot air out of bathroom fan to make sure they are not coonect most likly they are not. the lint is probaly dust i one time got a complaint about exhuast fan not working and wanted it replaced so i removed fan cover to see if vent flap was stuck was not it so i looked down vent pipe and i found a gallon or more of water in vent pipe come to find out there was a big sag and the moiture they were sucking out of bath then traped in vent turning back into water clogging vent do not know if your friends situation is the same but thought it could be something to read

jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote