Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Dropped ceiling duct work.

Hello. New to forum. Ready to istall dropped ceiling in downstairs. I want to run a few new duct runs off of some truck lines. What is the best method to attach the vent to/thru the ceiling tile? I picture using flex duct from the main to the vent? Do they make something specifically for using in dropped ceilings? Thanks! Rusty

rusty model a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:24 PM   #2

You need to get some like this:
http://www.hartandcooley.com/grd/all_grd.htm
Hope it helps

1610 CUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #3

It all depends on the size of the duct you want to put in and the amount of room you have between the real ceiling and the drop ceiling.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:33 PM   #4

thank you. I have lots of room above the dropped ceiling level. I want to use either rectangular or round vent. I just not sure what should be above ceiling tile to hook vent to. I am assuming I neet to screw the vent to something thru the tile. thanks again rusty
Old 11-15-2008, 07:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty model a View Post
thank you. I have lots of room above the dropped ceiling level. I want to use either rectangular or round vent. I just not sure what should be above ceiling tile to hook vent to. I am assuming I neet to screw the vent to something thru the tile. thanks again rusty
If you use rectangular I use S lock or drive lock. If it's round metal I use plumbers tape. If it's flex I use nylon strapping.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:55 PM   #6

I appreciate your help. I need to get to the store so I can picture what parts are available. If I use round duct than I guess I would cut the appropriate size hole in the ceiling tile. I just can't picture what the vent looks like. Will it have some round metal that sticks up thru the tile long enough to secure flexable duct to. Is there a backing plate on top of the ceiling tile that the scews will attach to. Can a 2' by 2' tile support the weight of the vent and some flex duct? Sorry, I'm making this much harder than it is. I'm familiar and good at plumbing, framing, dry walling etc, just never have worked with heating. thanks, rusty
Old 11-15-2008, 08:06 PM   #7

You will need a boot to hook the metal pipe to.

There are plates that fit into the frame that the drop down ceiling tile fits in. You have to get the same size as the tiles. There a half tile sizes for commercial applications.

If you use flex you will have to get zip ties and duct tape to seal it on the boot. The zip ties hold the inner coil of the flex duct and the duct tape holds the outside and seals it.

Last edited by Marvin Gardens; 11-15-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:27 PM   #8

You have two ways to do. You can buy a t-bar diffuser like this:

You will then need the appropriate collar to attach to it (corresponds to flex duct size i.e. 6", 8" etc.). This is the preferred method.

You can also just cut a boot into a ceiling tile. I usually use a bracket system that spans beyond the grid to help support the boot. Most of the time is just use boot rails. You will then buy a ceiling register to screw to it. This will hold it in place. You can buy boots, flex, straps, tape, etc. and big box stores. You will have to buy the commercial diffuser from a supply house.
bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:49 PM   #9

thanks guys!! I think I got it now. I think in the small bathroom that I am starting with the t bar diffuser would be to big. These are 2' by 2' correct? Anyway Thanks again!! Rusty
Old 11-15-2008, 08:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty model a View Post
thanks guys!! I think I got it now. I think in the small bathroom that I am starting with the t bar diffuser would be to big. These are 2' by 2' correct? Anyway Thanks again!! Rusty
Yes, they are 2x2. If it is a small bathroom, I would purchase a boot and ceiling register from home depot or lowes and just cut the boot into a ceiling tile.

bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote