Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #1

Share |

Drain pan needed?

Yup me again with another question.

The Coil I have has two drain outlets, primary and secondary. I know that the Primary gets piped to my home plumbing and that the secondary will end up outside.

My question is do i really need a 2nd drain pan? Can i just connect directly to the 2nd drain plug?

firedogut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #2

Drain pan needed?

No one wants to touch this. Lol

Old 10-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Drain pan needed?

Code requires a second drain pan if an over flow can cause damage to the structure.
Wood getting wet can cause damage.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #4

Drain pan needed?

Thanks. It just seemed dumb to pipe the 2nd drain outlet to a pan which is then piped outside. Oh well
Old 10-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Drain pan needed?

It does. Until you see what a ceiling looks like that fell down because it got soaked.

Then, it makes perfect sense.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #6

Drain pan needed?

I Will try to set you straight with the drain piping.
#1 Go back and read Biggles answers to your questions carefully.

#2 When the equipment arrives read all the installation material until you understand it.

#3 I will go over some things already recommended.
The primary drain is the lowest one it is usually piped outside with the line sets and dumped near the outdoor unit some where.
However you can pipe it any where you want or the closest place.
The unit should be raised with a preformed plastic pad the size of the air handler with a drain fitting all ready to be connected. Now there is a couple ways of running the secondary drain and the drain pan fitting.
You can tie the secondary drain with the pan drain and run them to a place that you can see if you ever see water flowing from them you know the primary drain is clogged and needs to be cleaned out IMMEDIATELY. Or your ceiling will be ruined at the least.
Another thing you can do is install a water level sensor on the drain pan (after plugging the drain hole) to shut the unit off if water is draining in the pan, a lot of people use these.
Good Luck
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:30 PM   #7

Drain pan needed?

Thanks. I already have lines from the old system. Main line goes to shower drian. 2nd goes outside next to kitchen window. I was 99% sure I had to have a pan under the coil but wanted to double check.

I also will install the check switch.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:26 PM   #8

Drain pan needed?

i think he has a plug on each side of the condenseate pan for the coil !only pipe out one to the exsisting condensate to the house drain leave the other plug in.the emergency pan doesn't get condensate drained to it from the main pan.it is for when the condensate pan is full from a trapped blockage and overflows out of the unit do not pipe the condensate pan to the emergency pan that's why it has to be straight out with no trap,and over a kitchen window or front door stoop...so it drips on your head as your putting the front door key in.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #9

Drain pan needed?

check it out ...take note where the main condensate is draining,and the emergency..having yours main piped to the house is dangerous the only way you will know it is blocked up if the emergency is full and flowing.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24S7S...rom=PL&index=2
Old 10-08-2009, 06:17 AM   #10

Drain pan needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
i think he has a plug on each side of the condenseate pan for the coil !only pipe out one to the exsisting condensate to the house drain leave the other plug in.the emergency pan doesn't get condensate drained to it from the main pan.it is for when the condensate pan is full from a trapped blockage and overflows out of the unit do not pipe the condensate pan to the emergency pan that's why it has to be straight out with no trap,and over a kitchen window or front door stoop...so it drips on your head as your putting the front door key in.
Hope you didn't misinterpret what I said.
The unit on Ytube showed only one drain line if I am correct, most units have two the primary and secondary, the primary goes right outside, the secondary is the emergency line which is slightly higher it can be piped with the emergency drain pan and ran to a place that it would be seen.
I got a lot of flak for this but my emergency drain is piped to the ceiling of the shower, I think it is a better place.
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #11

Drain pan needed?

thats a good place in the shower for the emergency drain...iv'e seen new home owners have called the shop up when the lead guy drilled a hole above the kitchen window to catch the attic pipe out