Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 4
Share |

Draft Inducer Blower Replacement

Hey Guys ~ I just replaced the draft inducer on my Tempstar furnace. It's a FASCO model a171 blower. An expensive part (over $300 list), but a very easy job.

This is now the 3rd draft inducer on a 12-year old furnace.

Is it typical to only get 5-7 years out of these blowers, or is there something amiss here?

Thanks!

DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
Part of the Clover Leaf

Rewards Points: 0

Depends. If your furnace is is set up right, I've seen them last longer that 7 years.

Three in twelve years is not what I consider normal. Could be your furnace is over fired. That could conduct enough heat to the motor housing and cause a premature motor failure.

This solely speculation you understand. You should have the furnace checked for proper firing rate which entails having the meter clocked. And a temp rise check.

Do you keep the filters clean or replaced on a regular basis? If not this can cause the furnace to over heat too.

hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
A Little Of Everything

Thanks!

I guess I should clarify. The blower didn't really "go out." It got loud, and when I dug into the situation it became obvious that the sealed bearings on the blower motor were dry. I noticed and replaced it before it actually quit.

I don't know if it's running hot. Everything seems to be fine. I do replace the filter several times per year.

The one thing I did see is some condensation in/around the blower itself. Not much, but a little. Is that because the exhaust pipe is tilted back toward the furnace instead of outside?
Old 01-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
Part of the Clover Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
Thanks!

I guess I should clarify. The blower didn't really "go out." It got loud, and when I dug into the situation it became obvious that the sealed bearings on the blower motor were dry. I noticed and replaced it before it actually quit.

I don't know if it's running hot. Everything seems to be fine. I do replace the filter several times per year.

The one thing I did see is some condensation in/around the blower itself. Not much, but a little. Is that because the exhaust pipe is tilted back toward the furnace instead of outside?
Condensation can get in the bearing a ruin them ...it's acidic. Correct the condensation leak and you just might solve your problem
Old 01-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #5
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
Condensation can get in the bearing a ruin them ...it's acidic. Correct the condensation leak and you just might solve your problem
I just checked the level of the exhaust pipe. It has a 1" rise over a 4' run, the outside being higher than the furnace end. Is that the way it's supposed to be?

Assuming that that rise is correct, what is the likely cause of the condensation, and what is to be done about it?
Old 01-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #6
Part of the Clover Leaf

a leaky glue joint or a boot connection clamp that has loosened up.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
a leaky glue joint or a boot connection clamp that has loosened up.
Hmmm... I'll go look.

Out of curiosity, why would one of those two things cause condensation in the draft inducer blower?

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #8

I don't deal a lot with tempstar but most furnaces never need an inducer replaced. Sloped back towards the furnace is correct for flue pipe. I wonder if 4' is less than the mfr minimum pipe length causing the inducer to pull the gas through before it cools off enough.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
I don't deal a lot with tempstar but most furnaces never need an inducer replaced. Sloped back towards the furnace is correct for flue pipe. I wonder if 4' is less than the mfr minimum pipe length causing the inducer to pull the gas through before it cools off enough.
I'm sorry, I probably wasn't clear on that. The horizontal run of the exhaust pipe is actually about 15' from furnace to wall. I used a 4' level to check it.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
Part of the Clover Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
Hmmm... I'll go look.

Out of curiosity, why would one of those two things cause condensation in the draft inducer blower?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by DrHicks
Thanks!

The one thing I did see is some condensation in/around the blower itself. Not much, but a little. Is that because the exhaust pipe is tilted back toward the furnace instead of outside? End quote

The glue joint could leak or the boot . These are just possibilities I am suggesting based on the info you provided.

Pics would be useful.

Slope of the of the exhaust should be toward furnace.

I would be remis in not mentioning that inducer noise is subjective...some some inducers last for years marking bearing noises. Not to say the noise should not be looked into, but if you replace the inducer at the first sign of noise you may be jumping the gun. Of-course if the inducer is screaming like crazy than that is an obvious change out needing to happen.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #11

Doc-

I like to research here:

http://www.fasco.com/documents/fascopage51-59.pdf

and check prices here:

http://www.cshincorporated.com/

Your unit looks a lot like mine. It's page 53 of above Fasco catalog.

Also good reading about the plastic wheel inside from 'Motorace':
Furnace will not stay on

I've successfully did preventive upgrade this way rather than replace whole unit, A158 for me. Wheel part is 8710-4358 and it's stamped on the part.

Last edited by diyorpay; 01-15-2012 at 10:06 AM.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote