Dovre Dv400 Gas Fireplace Flames Out Loud Bang - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dovre dv400 Gas Fireplace Flames out Loud Bang

I've been having some problems with my gas fireplace flaming out. I've changed thermocoupler(sp?) and made sure the pilot is free and clear. Also I have a strong pilot so not sure why this would happen. I've cleaned the hole to make sure there is not debris for the gas to flow freely. Just wondering what else I need to look for before i have to turn to a professional and have them charge me $100 an hour. I had to turn off the stove due the number of flame outs and size of the explosions/booms.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Wally42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:52 PM   #2

My Dover has flamed out, as well, but there was no loud bang. The spark is good but the stove does not appear to be getting gas, of which I have plenty. My gas cooking stove is working fine. Hopefully someone has resolved this problem.

Advertisement

Annabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Please explain in more detail about what happens when your stove "flames out". Explosions and booms are not natural and not good things when dealing with gas appliances. Invest $100 in calling a pro, it may cost you $$$, but may save the lives of your family.
log_doc_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

I don't understand the flaming out part either, although bangs, creaks and pops are pretty common in prefab boxes as the metal expands and contracts. Not that they should do it but I hear it alot and most manufacturers make a metal expansion kit with braces to remedy this. This won't help flame outs though. (whatever they are)
ausblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:59 AM   #5
BIGRED

Rewards Points: 250

A gas fire place has volcanic rock and fiberglass wool all over the fire wand. If the area around a standing pilot or some form of electric ignition is blocked off from the gas coming from the fire wand you are creating a time bomb. Completely clean all the material out of the fire box so that only the fire wand and ignitor assembly are left. Try lighting the fire place that way several times. If any of the tiny ports in the wand are blocked (no flame) pull the wand and use a small wire or tooth pick and clean out all the ports. Dump out any debris, put it back together, replace the volcanic rock and sparingly place some wool in small tufts over the rock. You should be good to go.
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grampa Bud For This Useful Post:
Annabelle (03-10-2010)
Old 12-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #6

Just had the unit cleaned and thought we were good to go but still flaming out. I know there was some questions about flaming out so here's what happens. no logs at this time and pilot is working. Go to turn up the heat on the wall unit and hear the click to initiate the gas. After 5 seconds the gas fills up and finally catches and that when you get a loud boom. For some reason there is a delay to light and that's where you have the mini explosion. This if you turn the gas on your grill outside with the lid down and after 5 seconds you throw a flame on, big flame and with this it blows out the pilot. I've asked a few professionals to come look but if they didn't do the initial installation they are not coming over to look at it. I bought the house with it and there are no tags on the back to know who installed.. Very frustrating, it's probably something simply but I don't know where to begin and I don't want to pay 3k for a new stove. Any help would be greatly appreciated... new thermocoupler as well so that's not it..
Old 12-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
BIGRED

Rewards Points: 250

If the wand has been cleaned -both inside and the flame orifices on the wand- check to see that the pilot flame or spark ignitor are bathing one or two flame orifices on the wand. Make sure that the thermocouple jam nut is tight on the fireplace regulator as well. Make sure you HAVE a regulator on your gas fire place. Last, but not least, get yourself a manometer or have someone who has one and knows how to use it come in and measure the gas pressure into the regulator and the gas pressure coming out of the regulator and going to the wand. There two ports on every regulator for this purpose. It sounds like you either have too much pressure, like 20 inches of W.C., or you have to little gas pressure, like 3-6 inches of W.C. Do not try to adjust the regulator using a gauge measuring p.s.i. Regulators determine gas pressure in inches of Water Column only. Too much pressure will blow out any ignition attempt until a cloud of gas is present and too little pressure may allow the gas to pool away from the ignition source until a large cloud is present. Then you have a bomb.
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #8

Thanks for the reply, I will have someone come and check the unit again and make sure the pressure is correct.

Advertisement