Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #1

Share |

Does this sound right?

My outside fan won't work and the technician says the a-coil is the problem and must be repaced for $1000. Does this sound right?
What can I do to troubleshoot and make sure?
Thanks,
Mark

will351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
fabrk8r

Does this sound right?

It's very possible. A-coils do sometimes leak, and if your refrigerant is gone the low-pressure safety switch will prevent the compressor (and fan) from running in the condensing unit, thereby saving you the expense of replacing the compressor or entire condensing unit as well as the indoor coil.

How old is the system?

Price to repair depends a lot on age of the unit, your location, and what type of guarantee you will have on the repair.

If you have the proper set of gauges you can check the pressures, if you know how.

Last edited by fabrk8r; 03-24-2011 at 07:34 PM.
fabrk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #3

Does this sound right?

that sounds like when your tooth hurts and you hit your finger with the hammer no more tooth ach..if the compressor runs on a cooling call motor is hot on the frame or doesn't free spin might be shot possible capacitor...does it try to turn with help
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:59 PM   #4
AKA HVACTECHFW

Does this sound right?

is it just the fan or the whole outdoor unit that doesn't work?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

Does this sound right?

I think what your tech was saying is that the evaporator coil is leaking refrigerant which would, as already stated, trip the outside unit to save the compressor. Not uncommon but I'd have to say that more information is required.
Doc Holliday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #6

Does this sound right?

Coil is only one of the problems. and it is an expensive one. So you need to find out if that is the real problem. If you don't know how to do that, I suggest you get a second opinion, get another tech and see what this second guy say..
clocert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:35 PM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Does this sound right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by will351 View Post
My outside fan won't work and the technician says the a-coil is the problem and must be repaced for $1000. Does this sound right?
What can I do to troubleshoot and make sure?
Thanks,
Mark

You need to know the refrigerant levels of the system. If too low from let's say a leak in the evaprotor ("A") coil and the entire outside condensing unit is not coming on due to low pressure switch trip, then you very well could have a leaky "A" (evaporator) coil.

You can quickly turn the system to auto and cool and drop the desired set point in cooling mode (to make certain the call to come on is there) and run outside and see (and hear) if the compressor is kicking on if you do not have any gauges to check refrigerant levels. If the compressor is coming on but the fan on top of the unit is not coming on then it's not the evaporator coil, or not only the coil if by chance your coil is leaking I should say.

Once a low pressure switch trips you have to add refrigerant to close that switch to get the entire outside unit to come back on. In other words the compressor will not start at all if low on refrigerant and the low pressure switch is tripped/open as the call to come on is cut out completely for the entire unit...until refrigerant is added and that switch closes. The low pressure switch will not close by itself, ever, so again, until refrigerant is added to the system, if low on freon, your outside unit will not come one, none of it.

If the compressor is coming on outside, even if only for a few seconds to a few minutes, and then is shutting off (due to thermal overload/overheat internal protection and then the compressor will have to cool off, takes about an hour before it tries to run again) but the fan is the only thing not spinning (directly relating to thermal overload of compressor) than it could very well only be a capacitor, the fan cap or fan section of dual run cap. A dual run capacitor runs both the compressor and the fan on top of the condensing unit in one capacitor and yes, one section, either the fan or the compressor, can go out and the other can still work. Or they both can go out as the entire cap can blow and neither the compressor or the fan will work. Not a big deal either way, an easy fix.

The questions are at this point is what are the refrigerant levels and is the compressor coming on at all or not, is it only the fan not spinning? Did your tech say that the "A" coil is leaking? He should have and he should have explained what myself and a few others have explained as to why the outside unit is not coming on due to a refrigerant leak in the evaporator ("A") coil, thus tripping the outside unit.

Please let us all know what you find out.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 03-24-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Doc Holliday is online now   Reply With Quote