Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2011, 05:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Does this look like asbestos wrapping my HVAC register?

I just bought a house built in 1957 and last night I was down in crawlspace for a loose HVAC register. Then I found out that this HVAC register was wrapped in some kind of whitish tape. It's pretty brittle. I was tearing it off and it flakes. Then all of a sudden I realized that this MIGHT be ASBESTOS! So I took a quick cell phone photo and got the hell out of there.

I will go down there again next few days with a gas mask to abtain a sample for sending for testing. Now it's cold outside (45F at night) but I am NOT turning on my HVAC heating for fear of blowing asbestos everywhere inside my house. Most of the other section of the HVAC are wrapped in fiberglass insulation. I haven't checked the other gas registers though.
I am getting nervous so I post the photos here. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Does this look like asbestos wrapping my HVAC register?-img-20111119-00358-s.jpg   Does this look like asbestos wrapping my HVAC register?-img-20111119-00354-s-noted.jpg  

Last edited by htabbas; 11-21-2011 at 05:41 AM.
htabbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,748

sure looks like it.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

As long as you do not disturb it, the fibers will not enter the air. Best thing to do, if you are not up to removing, hire an abatement company to remove the material. A few like myself have removed that tape as a homeowner. You just wet down with water, that has a little dish detergent in it, wrap with a bag, pull the material down, then bag the bag that has the material in it. Then spray again and wipe down and dispose of the cloth that you used in a double bagged bag. Then just dispose.

Before our furnace was replaced, we had to remove all asbestos tape from the duct work, and it maybe took no more than a half hour, due to there was very little to be removed. Now, you can use the mastic and apply that to the tape and be done with it, that is another way to make the material safe and no worry.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 11-21-2011 at 10:23 AM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,464

Quote:
What do you think?
I think if that application of asbestos insulation was going to be "blown everywhere" it has already done so.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

You're going to die. The only way to stop the asbestos fibers in your lungs now is to take up smoking. The tar balls will bind the fibers so they can't do any damage

The stuff was in everything back then. Duct wrap,flooring ,insulation,counter tops, siding and the list goes on and on. Long term exposure is a bad thing but I wouldn't worry the little bit you sucked in messing with the duct.

Last edited by Marty S.; 11-21-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #6

Right now I am having a new addition built in the backyard. i just found out that another old wall registered taken down by the contractors is the same thing. So far it's been lying in my backyard for 2 months so far. I just took some photos of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Does this look like asbestos wrapping my HVAC register?-cimg8720-s.jpg   Does this look like asbestos wrapping my HVAC register?-cimg8721-s.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by htabbas View Post
Right now I am having a new addition built in the backyard. i just found out that another old wall registered taken down by the contractors is the same thing. So far it's been lying in my backyard for 2 months so far. I just took some photos of it.
Well, what are you waiting for. Get that mess picked up and either in a dumpster or stacked. As for that lonely piece of sheet metal, better call the epa, due to now you have contaminated the whole neighborhood.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
Tileguy

Put it all in a pile and burn it.
What remains when the fire dies out is either metal or asbestos.
Then you will know for sure.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Well, what are you waiting for. Get that mess picked up and either in a dumpster or stacked. As for that lonely piece of sheet metal, better call the epa, due to now you have contaminated the whole neighborhood.
I don't know that might be asbestos. I have a contractor working on building a new 2-bedroom addition at the back of my house. I don't even go to the backyard very often, let alone checking the junk. By now I have already put the duct piece into a plastic bag, sealed and put in another plastic bag.

For the contamination issue, I doubt it would contaminate "the whole neighborhood". These small pieces of asbestos (even if they ARE asbestos), will harm people INSIDE the house due to enclosed space and hence higher concentration. Once outside I think it should be fine.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
Tileguy

Quote:
Once outside I think it should be fine.
Just bag it all and throw it over the fence, let the neighbors deal with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (11-21-2011)
Old 11-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by htabbas View Post
I don't know that might be asbestos. I have a contractor working on building a new 2-bedroom addition at the back of my house. I don't even go to the backyard very often, let alone checking the junk. By now I have already put the duct piece into a plastic bag, sealed and put in another plastic bag.

For the contamination issue, I doubt it would contaminate "the whole neighborhood". These small pieces of asbestos (even if they ARE asbestos), will harm people INSIDE the house due to enclosed space and hence higher concentration. Once outside I think it should be fine.
It is a joke. Then again, you do live in the state of nutcases and tree hugger's who get their panties in a bunch, when ever the wind blows.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
It is a joke. Then again, you do live in the state of nutcases and tree hugger's who get their panties in a bunch, when ever the wind blows.
Oh, lol.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,022

First thing, relax and follow the above posts for disposal especially #3. It's done and over with and a major headache has been eliminated.

COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote