DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Does this 4T/3T combo work?

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 3 year old 3 Ton York outdoor condenser unit (Model HBBD-F036S; 13 SEER, if it matters). I had to replace the furnace and ended up with limited overhead clearance, so have to go with a short evaporator coil. A supplier has a 4 Ton Rheem coil (Model RCBA-4882GG24) for $120, brand new. It's one of the few coils that physically fits the clearance, and the price is very hard to ignore. The question is, will it work with the 3 Ton York condenser? I live near Philadelphia, so it does get humid in the summer. TIA for any advice and responses.

#2 ·
You won't get 13 SEER anymore. And may not get near as many BTUs. Rheem designs their equipment to use as little refrigerant as possible. York doesn't.

York has 33" high/tall furnaces. Why didn't you get one of them.

#3 ·
Because of the Benjamins.

You won't get 13 SEER anymore. And may not get near as many BTUs. Rheem designs their equipment to use as little refrigerant as possible. York doesn't.

York has 33" high/tall furnaces. Why didn't you get one of them.
Because I managed to find a brand new Lennox O25 for $350. :eek: And I needed to install the new furnace pronto.

Sure, I'd like to get the top efficiency from a nice coordinated system. But figure: I spent $350 for the furnace, $120 for the coil, $60 for the 3 year old York condenser unit, and allowing $500 for miscellaneous costs, that gives an entire, virtually new system for about $1000. I'll live with some efficiency loss for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.