Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #1

Share |

Do I need a TXV on my new Evaporator Coil?

I am going to have a new Evaporator Coil replacement. I think there is no TXV on my current leaking Evaporator Coil. Do I need a TXV on my new evaporator coil? If yes, what is good about it? Why do I need it? If yes, then why my Lennar builder did not install one when they built my house in 2004? Please give me some opinion.

tuanngnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Because it costs extra money to buy a txv. Builders/general contractors are only there to build the home. After that, any and all upgrades are up to you.

It's the same everywhere.

Is it better? If you are switching or have 410-A system of 14 seer or higher it's pretty much mandatory. In extreme climates, if memory serves me correctly, a piston fed evaporator is more efficient. Overall, a txv is more stable, keeps the supply air temp stable.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #3

Ja, you want one of those.

I had some loser install a hvac system for me and they left it out. I still have it in a box around somewhere.

I forced them to install the next two, then one went bad and it really affected the performance, so I had it repaired.

Then I switched guys and I have a winner now, not a loser, and he installed it rather matter of factly.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveman View Post
Ja, you want one of those.

I had some loser install a hvac system for me and they left it out. I still have it in a box around somewhere.

I forced them to install the next two, then one went bad and it really affected the performance, so I had it repaired.

Then I switched guys and I have a winner now, not a loser, and he installed it rather matter of factly.
An A/C system will work just fine with a fixed metering devise... is a txv better. . .. maybe until you have to change it...
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #5

A TXV was designed to achieve better efficiency, mostly used on 410A and some R22. Think of a TXV like a fuel injector for your car that injects the right amount of fuel to the engine. Same thing with the TXV, it controls the amount of of refrigerant going into the evaporator coil which gives you a stable supply air temperature. The only bad thiing about TXV is if it wasn't install properly, you will have hell of problems latter. Such as not flowing nitrogen while brazing or pulling a good vacuum, ect. Do you need it? 410A- A MUST. R22- well dependiing on how much it cost to put it in.
Mr.HVAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Not required on R410A systems. Goodman has 14 SEER R410A systems that are piston systems. Ducane has a R410A piston reference sheet for almost all of their evap coils.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HVAC View Post
A TXV was designed to achieve better efficiency, mostly used on 410A and some R22. Think of a TXV like a fuel injector for your car that injects the right amount of fuel to the engine. Same thing with the TXV, it controls the amount of of refrigerant going into the evaporator coil which gives you a stable supply air temperature. The only bad thiing about TXV is if it wasn't install properly, you will have hell of problems latter. Such as not flowing nitrogen while brazing or pulling a good vacuum, ect. Do you need it? 410A- A MUST. R22- well dependiing on how much it cost to put it in.
it is not a must for 410

carmon is offline   Reply With Quote