Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Do I need a new furnace?

Hello Guys,

I live in a 16 year old home with dual zone heating and cooling. We have been in this house for 4 years and at least for the past 3 years I have been religiously replacing the air filters. We got the air ducts cleaned 2 years ago and that guy said the furnace was dirty and asked $350 to clean it. I refused.

Last year, the problems started. It'd run just fine for a few days, then stop working completely. Sometimes if I flip the breaker on/off it would work for a few hours and then stop again. The red blinking LED indicated code 33.

Long story short, I've been quoted $1950 for a Bryant 925SA 95% effliciency. My old furnace is a Day & Night. Is this a good price? Are there any 'gotcha's' I should ask beforehand?

thanks
Sam

emperor_black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #2

Do I need a new furnace?

If that is an installed price including all materials and labor it is an excellent price!

techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to techpappy For This Useful Post:
operagost (01-03-2013)
Old 09-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 12

Do I need a new furnace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperor_black View Post
Hello Guys,

I live in a 16 year old home with dual zone heating and cooling. We have been in this house for 4 years and at least for the past 3 years I have been religiously replacing the air filters. We got the air ducts cleaned 2 years ago and that guy said the furnace was dirty and asked $350 to clean it. I refused.

Last year, the problems started. It'd run just fine for a few days, then stop working completely. Sometimes if I flip the breaker on/off it would work for a few hours and then stop again. The red blinking LED indicated code 33.

Long story short, I've been quoted $1950 for a Bryant 925SA 95% effliciency. My old furnace is a Day & Night. Is this a good price? Are there any 'gotcha's' I should ask beforehand?

thanks
Sam
don't jump the gun on a new furnace...has it been serviced over the last years...if not have it serviced for the winter check up let tech know of the issue you have been having....if you need a new one from him get a 2 nd opinion........
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (09-20-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #4

Do I need a new furnace?

Thanks to both. No, its never been serviced. But these guys ask an arm an a leg for anything here. Besides, the heater is very dirty on the insides and looks like its never been changed. Also, installing a 95% furnace, I can list it on the sale flyer when I decide to sell my home in the next year or two.

Besides, this one eats up gas like my kid eats cookies. In summer, my monthly PG&E bills are $60 - $80. But in winter, they jump to $300's. That's for say 5 hrs per day heater running in the evening and in the weekends.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #5

Do I need a new furnace?

If pricing is so high it pains you to get a furnace serviced then $1900 for a new 95% is too good to be true. Get some more bids from licensed and insured HVAC companies.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #6

Do I need a new furnace?

I called a couple and they quoted $2800 - $3500 on the phone. Another refused to give quotes over the phone and charges $120 per hour with 1 hr. minimum. these are the top rated on Yelp.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
how

Do I need a new furnace?

Code 33 just says it's overheating. (probably dirty).
hhhmmmm.
Cleaning $300.00
replacing $3500.00
What to do???
how is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to how For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (09-21-2012), operagost (01-03-2013)
Old 09-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #8

Do I need a new furnace?

Quote:
I called a couple and they quoted $2800 - $3500 on the phone. Another refused to give quotes over the phone and charges $120 per hour with 1 hr. minimum. these are the top rated on Yelp.
Read up: http://www.ehow.com/how_7530474_select-new-furnace.html
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to epson For This Useful Post:
emperor_black (09-21-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #9

Do I need a new furnace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by how View Post
Code 33 just says it's overheating. (probably dirty).
hhhmmmm.
Cleaning $300.00
replacing $3500.00
What to do???
No no, this small scale contractor is offering to install a 96% Bryant for $1950 installed. It seems in October prices will go up at least 10% and his company is a wholesale buyer of furnaces.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 40

Do I need a new furnace?

Quote:
No no, this small scale contractor is offering to install a 96% Bryant for $1950 installed. It seems in October prices will go up at least 10% and his company is a wholesale buyer of furnaces.
I'd recommend you have a load calc done to see what size furnace you really need. Over size a 95%er and have it installed on under sized duct work. And you'll end up with a conversation piece that doesn't heat your house, or save you money when it does work.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (10-15-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #11

Do I need a new furnace?

I cleaned out the flame sensor after watching a youtube video posted by someone who supposedly also had the intermittent working and code 33 on his furnace. The furnace seems to be working fine now. I also used a vacuum cleaner and cleaned out the insides. I didn't take anything else apart. Is there any other cleaning I can do before the cold season hits?

thanks for all your replies.

Sam
Old 09-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #12

Do I need a new furnace?

check the A coil above the heat exchanger make sure it is clean,filters and squirrel cage fins...are clean.d you have a programmable stat are the troops working the temps when your no there?...return is true from the space and the discharge ducts are tight into the space?
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #13

Do I need a new furnace?

What's the efficiency of your old furnace? A 95% furnace sends $5 out of every $100 spent on heating up the flue....an 80% sends $20 and so on.
You know what your bills are so you know what percentage of heating cost is going up the flue. Is the furnace 16 years old like your house?
A few words about pricing. Although there is a lot of money in new installations, HVAC work is primarily a service company. It's not unlikely to spend 50% the cost of a new unit for a repair on an old one. If your furnace is overheating you need to determine why. In my opinion 16 years is past the usual replacement period of a gas fired furnace. Cleaning and regular maintenance will keep it performing, like yours is, but more modern, more efficient units are very appealing when your gas bills start to roll in.
emperor_black (09-24-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #14

Do I need a new furnace?

Quote:
I cleaned out the flame sensor after watching a youtube video posted by someone who supposedly also had the intermittent working and code 33 on his furnace. The furnace seems to be working fine now. I also used a vacuum cleaner and cleaned out the insides. I didn't take anything else apart. Is there any other cleaning I can do before the cold season hits?

thanks for all your replies.

Sam
here you go: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1.7P8s9KtMklk
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:26 AM   #15

Do I need a new furnace?

epson,
thanks for posting that link. I wish it was that easy! I cannot find the furnace filter. According to the diagram on the furnace, its there above the blower compartment. I can guess that the blower compartment is the one the flames are feeding into. Do I need to remove everything to access the filters? Here are a couple of pictures i took. thanks!