Do I Need A Brand New AC System? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 694

Do I need a brand new AC system?

My AC system is blowing room temperature air. Called an AC company out to investigate.

The AC tech told me there is no more refrigerant due to a leak. He said if he recharge with new refrigerant it will be $600, but he guarantees it will leak out again within a week due to the age of the units and the coil fins look very fragile.

AIR CONDITIONER HANDLER
LENNOX Model CB30M-31-1P Serial 5899K 5321

AIR CONDITIONER COMPRESSOR
LENNOX Model HS27-030-1P Serial 5899L 61774

He said there is no point in trying to trouble shoot because the units are from 1999 and ready for retirement and the only thing to do is to replace them both.

He quoted me a new Bryant (16 Seers) unit for $3500.

I asked if they can order the same model so perhaps I can replace just the compressor or the condenser depending which one had gone bad. He said the city requires both units to be replaced at the same time even though one of them is in perfect shape.

Is this true? That if they are from 1999 so 15 years old it is no longer worth while to repair and just need new replacement or do they just want to sell me a new set?

Advertisement

miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 824

$3500 doesn't seem too bad. It has to be a matched indoor/ outdoor set.

Advertisement

bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 764

Why don't you call the city and ask? Doesn't sound like something a city would concern themselves with. Where are you located?

And what if the leak is in the lines? Then you'll have brand new units that still don't work. I'd find someone else and have them find the leak before you do anything.

That said, if they're 15 years old and you can replace everything with newer more efficient units with warranty for only $3500 it sounds like it's worth doing. That's $3500 installed for everything?
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 694

I called the city and they said the code requires the indoor and outdoor units to be installed less than 1 year apart.

yes $3500 includes everything except the lines. New unit inside and outside, an aluminum bracing stand for the new unit inside, a new pad on the outside if they can't use the existing concrete pad, labor and parts and warranty.

I asked them what if the leaks are in the lines they said that's highly unlikely...

I never heard of Bryant. Is this a new brand? I have heard of Lennox, Carrier, Trane, Goodman etc...
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #5
HVAC Tech/Owner

Rewards Points: 350

Carrier is Bryant......Bryant is Carrier..... Same assembly line different model numbers.

In our modern "marketing world" brand names don't mean anything, especially with hvac...install practices trumps " brand"

Ask your handyman if they can do Manual J,D,S and T, If they look clueless, then you know they are gunning for your backside.
Technow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Technow For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (11-06-2014), sirweldalot (11-08-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 604

Never heard of Bryant?? They've been around forever and now part of Carrier IIRC. My 1995 R22 Bryant condenser is still going strong although up north here the cooling season isn't as long as yours. I did have to replace the indoor coil a few years ago due to a leak and no such rule here to do both at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicuse View Post
I called the city and they said the code requires the indoor and outdoor units to be installed less than 1 year apart.

yes $3500 includes everything except the lines. New unit inside and outside, an aluminum bracing stand for the new unit inside, a new pad on the outside if they can't use the existing concrete pad, labor and parts and warranty.

I asked them what if the leaks are in the lines they said that's highly unlikely...

I never heard of Bryant. Is this a new brand? I have heard of Lennox, Carrier, Trane, Goodman etc...
Old 11-06-2014, 12:47 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 790

Look for the leak your self. It will be oily. Could be out in the open and repairable.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 872

15 years and the compressor has a LOT of miles/wear on it and is pumping about 85% capacity so the unit is not worth fixing IMO.

That is a GOOD price for a new unit and Bryant is very good. Part of the Carrier family like GM/Chevy or Chrysler/Dodge.

Carrier is owned by United Technologies. Siemens, Honeywell, United Technologies own 3/4 of the world.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 117

Yes, that is a fantastic price... I would think it would $3500 just for the units/parts.
sidejobjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,724

I'd get other estimates. And then compare what the companies are doing for the price.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:51 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,046

Ditto to beenthere.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 274

A unit that old is probably using R-22 freon and is being phased out here in Va. Might be why the tech gave that $600 quote - it's expensive.
Couldn't he had pressurized the unit with nitrogen and listened/used some leak finder for an obvious leak he might have soldered?

Still, I'd probably not put $600 into something that old and who knows, next summer the compressor goes out.
BTW, I'm not an HVAC person.
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #13
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 872

At $100/hr for labor it can take 4 hrs to find a leak. Most of the time it is in the indoor coil which is obsolete for that unit as the new units are a higher SEER/more efficient. Once you authorise the leak search you don't get your $$ back and have wasted them only to find out what he said was true.

It is illegal where I am to just add freon as the leak must be found and fixed due to EPA rules. Very rare the leak is obvious and can be soldered.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 133

Replace the whole thing, don't waste your time and money on an old leaky HVAC system. Get the line set replaced along with everything else.

Advertisement

chemman is offline   Reply With Quote