Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #1

Share |

Do Air covers harbor mice?

Someone told me not to wrap myAC with a cover over the winter, stating that mice seek shelter and eat the wires... true???
turbomangt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

I don't live or work where snow is ever a real threat but mice, rats and dogs all chew through wires regardless of if covered down here.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #3

Plenty of snow here and mice love to nest in AC control panels if they're covered or not. Red wires are their favorite flavor. Best control is keep vegetation cleaned up. A box of decon works wonders too if you don't have pets who might eat the dead mice.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Never cover a/c unit and I tell you why. When you have it cover up and you have people over. You will have that one person goes and turns on the a/c for couple minutes. Then with cover over unit compressor over heat then boom. You just got yourself a new A/C unit.
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #5

tator said it best......many people will cover ther ac unit and start it up covered.....to bad ...and yes mice love a/c units covered or not save you money.....cold in pa winter...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

If you want to keep leafs out the get a old window screen and put it on top with bricks holding it down
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

All that I did this year, was take a piece of heavy plastic and cover the top to keep out the leaves. Held on with bungee cords. No need to cover the sides. Just remember to go to the power panel and flip off the breaker for the a/c, or pull the disconnect and flip over to shut off for the season. I am the only one that touches anything electrical, so I know that I am the only one that will be touching the breaker for our a/c.

If you have a heat pump, never cover, service before fall, and before Summer, both to make sure it is clean of any debris inside, and the system is going to perform like it should for both heating and cooling. Worst that you would want, is for it to use aux heat during fall or winter, when it gets cold enough to warrant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 10-24-2011 at 08:47 PM.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote