Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
duckluva1

Share |
Talking

DIY, Servicing Gas furnace/Steam heat

Concerning Servicing my Sears Gas Furnace. My flame appears too yellow, Con Ed 'suggests' Professional (money)servicing.I'm safe working with gas,electric and installed the water heater myself as well as repairing the mains on the furnace feeding the radiators and the radiators themselves. I was born in this home and am restoring it. I've wire brushed the Main Burners and the furnace interior already, shop-vac'ed the furnace, adjusted the pilot but the furnace(main burner) still gets a yellowish flame on full burn. The Air-shutters appear to be adjustable but are currently locked in position with a set screw(factory). Is a Yellowish burn acceptable in the 'full on' state of the gas furnace(STEAM Heat) If I remove the set screw to adjust the air shutter there is no locking screw for the new position (but it appears it will stay where I set it.) Is it safe to leave the air shutters unlocked (remove the set screw)and how do I adjust them to a blue flame (too little air=yellow?) Umm,new here but HELP, its going down to 39 tonight. Ha! It works with the yellow flame so I'm not desperate, the set screws on the air shutters were never removed when it was installed so I'm not sure if they were meant to be removed(factory settings? or Stupid Intallation Man. ( I fear the latter as I got to know the installing company /(A.F.J. stands for A. F.*ing J.erk.) I met by suiing and winning in court *with the help of Con Ed. WIthout HIREING professional, can I remove the set screws and adjust the air shutters for a blue flame on the main burners? Manny Thanx, Carl (I havnt 'worked for a living' 14 years,Thank God)in the bronx

duckluva1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:49 PM   #2

I just cleaned my furnace today.
The gas flame is blue down at the burners, but there is a good amount of yellow higher up in the flame. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

The air shutters on mine have always been wide open. I would not change the setting.

FW

fw2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:53 PM   #3
scotch on the rocks

there is not good looking flame, a good combustion analizer will tell you whats going on with your burner. I seeing blue flames generating over 1000ppm of CO.
call a contractor that uses digital combustion analizer, tell him you want a print out of the results before and after the adjustments.
hvactech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
there is not good looking flame, a good combustion analizer will tell you whats going on with your burner. I seeing blue flames generating over 1000ppm of CO.
call a contractor that uses digital combustion analizer, tell him you want a print out of the results before and after the adjustments.
Buy a CO detector!
It's something that could save your life, and the lives of your loved ones!

I am using several CO alarms. One is a combo CO and explosive gas, which will also detect a natural gas leak. Price is about $50. Very small price to pay for some peace of mind.
fw2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #5

Hey Duckluva - Did you get any replies, here or elsewhere, cause it's getting even cooler tomorrow. I have a similar problem, and I dont understand why flames have pronounced yellow tips, shutters seem movable but fixed. I agree, all sites say call service, but here in philly that means PGW, acronym for "fate worse than death", but not in this language. Any advice out there?

BTW - a year or two ago, I looked up about CO poisoning, which is really possible, and whose symptoms/effects can be important, even when it does not kill you outright. I agree one should beware. That noted, the net is FULL of places (mostly selling stuff) that cite horrifying stats for CO poisoning from US gov't. If you go to cited source, it turns out that most of those "CO" deaths were victims of fires. The gov't sorts out those that DO occur from faulty gas heating, and it is only a few per year, not thousands or hundreds. Again, not to minimize the fact that CO is poisonous, is non-odorous, can be produced by home gas furnaces, and can cause tiredness, depression other effects at sublethal levels.
Cherrywood
cherrywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:53 AM   #6
duckluva1

Hello Cherrywood, Umm, I got two replies saying they see the same thing, one reply from someone called HVACtech (m o n e y ) telling me I needed a pro with a special (extra cost)meter and another touting a quote from Him about CO2 detectors. Umm, CO2 detectors are Required BY LAW in ny, so I'll dicount that rave, i'll discount HVACtech's response as it contained nothing of help but an ad (for money) With a name like HVAtech what would you expect (Probally read it from his handbook for "Customers complaints about charges"). So that leaves me with two, "it's fine" replies, plus yours. Being a get-it-started-project type kinda guy, I did the basics I DID know.
I made a general inspection for leaks ,odors, reset the pilot light (no adjustment needed) shut 'er down and wire brushed the pilots well , the general interior top sides and wherever I could reach then shop-vac'ed with the skinny tip (low volume-hi pressure,Bernoulli's formula), checked for flamable stuff near the unit and swept before I shut her back up. Everything looks the same,including the flame (perhaps a slight bit less yellow).
BUT, this months gas bill is a third of last years at this time. Could be the unusually warm fall (prolly) could be the wirebrush and vacumn. time will tell.
Yes, use a dust mask when brushing aand vacumning, I Have a CO2 detector directly above the furnace and its fine.
***But I must note if you DIY, check the exhauxt ducts to the chimney. If they are visably cracked or seperated from a complete seal Please, Fix that Now. Home cheapo and other construction shops ALL carry a small (large)bucket of 'Goop" that covers and fills in the cracks or openings. Trowel in in,flatten it off and forget it untill it breaks again, Gas water heater, check that vent too.The goop is cheap ($10.00?) and made for the job purposefully
Venting out the CO2 is more important than just detecting it irregardless of the color of the flame. Hopefully the brush and vacumn (and vent seal) is all that was needed, it seems to have worked well, A service contract,special meters, professional help, All for NO ADJUSTMENTS NEEDED on a factory assembled unit make me question the true profession of these "professionals" Carl
Old 11-09-2007, 03:38 PM   #7
scotch on the rocks

duckluva1

To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant.
hvactech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #8
duckluva1

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
duckluva1

To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant.
Agreed, thats why DIY sites exist. It does not give You License to steal from the ignorant by hiding your fee's in techno-babble. There are no adjustments to be made, a high tech meter to tell you the status of something you cannot change is worthless, just like most of the professionals Stealing from the masses because they do not know how little you do-thats why DIY exists. This site is to enlighten the masses, NOT refer them to a service contract (you). Give the common man more credit than you do, they dont have to confuse themselves with techno babble,just give them the information needed,not the bull---- you give instead of service.
Keep your comments to the subject at hand, Ignorance seems to be your 'stock in trade' but if you continue to attempt to insult you only demonstrate what I've been saying. Using a professional without knowing what he's supposed to do is ignorant, Obviously you are Ignorant yourself or you'd post a DIY Answer Instead of a retort. That makes 'HVACtech' a retard. If HVACtech knew the answer he'd post it, posting an attempt at insult instead shows just how Ignorant HVACtech really is of the question at hand.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:39 PM   #9
duckluva1

Talking

I dont know where you get your quotes nor do I care. The quote you just posted is more simply stated "Ignorance is Bliss". In your case, the customers ignorance is your bliss-If they knew how little you actually do for the BigBucks you charge that would put you out of a job,(where is where you should be). Karma comes 'round, remember that when its your turn paying out for questionable 'Professional' service.
In life-You get what you give. More insults to come?, thats why we have moderators , Your ignorance shows, you only insult yourself by showing it here