Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

DIY relocation of HVAC ducts

Cliffs:
Looking to tear out existing HVAC ducts in house and redoing for several reasons. Considering DIY of new ducting. Am I nuts?

Long version:
I'm on a roll with home improvements about to complete my current project (knocking down 2 walls and combining 2 rooms) one of my upcoming projects is to completely redo my basement. Part of this will be moving the HVAC ducts. I may even move the furnace.

Details on existing system and house:
The furnace a 80% efficiency non-condensing Carrier natural gas, but its only 5 years old, so it should have plenty of life. House is 1950's with central heat and air, all sheet metal ducting run in the basement parallel the main beam- however here's my complaints so far:

1) The basement is already low ceilings at 7 feet. The HVAC ducts run down the middle of the basement ceiling and underneath that area is 6' 3"

2) The house has reverse flow venting- as in, in most areas the returns are on the exterior walls (uninsulated! for now) and the supply are on the interior walls

3) There are only 2 (one on the furnace/AC itself) supplies on the basement and ZERO returns except the furnace itself

4) The grilles are noisy- (when I remove them it's quiet), which brings me to:

5) The ducts are an odd size which I read is common for an older house, like 5x8 so it's almost impossible to find grilles for the vents. Which ties along with this- because of their off size, they are placed low on walls, and not the floors, so I have to use them with this ugly baseboard trim (it goes almost 8" up on the wall).

Sooooo to address these issues, while in the midst of tearing apart my basement since I'll have full access, I plan on:

1) running the Supply and return ducting down one side of the basement wall (without basement windows) instead of the center as you see in most homes. This way, I can build a soffit.

1B) An alternative- would be to run the ducting through the attic (PLENTY of room up there) but that's another ball game needing more ducting and insulation and still needing ducting for the rest of the basement etc.

2 and 3) While I'm at this, I'll change the flow to be "correct" with the supply at the exterior walls and return in the interior walls. Add the proper supplies and returns to the basement.

4) I'll do load calculations, etc make sure the duct sizes are correct.

5) With standard sized ducting, I'd cut new floor vents, which will allow me to use better looking trim throughout the house and use nearly any modern sized vent

The house isn't that big, it's only 1000 sq ft per level. I've never done HVAC stuff before, but I can't imagine working with ducting to be that difficult. Any suggestions?

cbrc5eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
E-lec-tri-city

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via ICQ to brons2 Send a message via AIM to brons2 Send a message via MSN to brons2 Send a message via Yahoo to brons2

Interesting, I would like to put in my own ductwork as well.

Subscribed

brons2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:45 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,840

Are you going to use sheet metal, or duct board for your trunk lines?
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Are you going to use sheet metal, or duct board for your trunk lines?
Still not sure which one- leaning towards sheet metal, although some of my parents' vacation houses used the duct board. Any suggestions?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Both work fine when sized correctly.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #6

Alright sounds good. Any thoughs on running the main trunk down the side of the basement instead of the center?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrc5eric View Post
Alright sounds good. Any thoughs on running the main trunk down the side of the basement instead of the center?
Its not a problem, the supply runs to the other side of th house will probably nee to be a little larger, but thats no big deal.