Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

DIY Portable AC Vent for Sliding Glass Door

Hi, folks. I recently purchased a portable AC unit to use in my apartment. Last summer in Texas was brutal and our main AC just couldn't keep up. The problem is the only opening to vent the unit from is a sliding glass door. The unit came with a window kit, but it's not nearly long enough.

I would appreciate any help in determining the best materials to use to lengthen the plastic kit and to provide additional insulation? I've heard mention of using Plexiglass, but I've never worked with it before so I'm not sure how that would work or how to mount the current kit to it. I'm also worried about how well Plexiglass will keep out the heat. Unfortunately wood is not an option as my apartment manager wants the final result to look nice and professional.

Should I just extend it with a layer of Plexiglass covered with insulation? Should I build a frame around the kit for stability? If so, what do I need to look for at the hardware store? Thanks!

Sinkerhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Do you have crank windows with screens? What I did for mine is cut a wood panel that fits where the screen goes and put the vents through there. I just latch it in (had to screw in some latches) and put the pipe through. Make sure there's a screen where the hole is so bugs/animals can't get into the unit.

It was +25 today here, it's almost time to set mine up. Though it's still early, just a heat wave, we have more snow coming I'm sure.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hi, Red Squirrel...The only option I have is to put vent through the sliding glass door. The bedroom has no windows and the only other window is just too far away to be effective. I have an idea of what I need to do, but I don't know the best materials. I haven't been able to find anything online as far as an example or tips.

Unfortunately I cannot use wood. The apartment complex has already refused that option.
Sinkerhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #4

Do a search onlne for pet doors for sliding patio doors. Not saying you should buy one of those, but at least look there for ideas.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:22 PM   #5

use 2 window vent kits screwed together the long way

or
http://www.portableairshop.com/EdgeS...efault,pd.html

check with the manu.on a door kit for your unit

Last edited by Tom Struble; 03-19-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote