DIY Needing Info - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Indentured Servant

Rewards Points: 75

DIY needing info

I am a fiercely independent do it yourselfer about to imbark on a hvac adventure. In the middle of a total home renovation and time to think about the furnace before I get too far along with the rest of the stuff. I want a high efficiency LP forced air system located in the basement. Much of the duct work is already in from the old system but I think I may need to update it anyway. I am looking for suggestions, tips, tricks, and knowledge.

The house is a story and a half with a dormer, finished basement. Total square feet including basement is about 2240. Upstairs is vaulted.

I can install ducts anywhere right now. I may put in a wood burning furnace in the basement that would utilize the same duct work, not sure yet on that but I really should since wood is free for me, I can cut my own.

I want to vent it the LP out a band joist, with a central chimney for the wood furnace. Air conditioning is an option, but not right now so I want to be ready for it if I do.

What do I need to look at and plan for?

Advertisement

jackpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,286

DIY needing info

Ayuh,... Just My opinion,...

'round here, AC ain't needed, especially central air....
That said,...
Water is a Much Better conveyor of heat, over air...
Water pipin' takes Way less space,...
In floor radiant is by far, the finest heatin' you can use...

I've got hot water baseboard heatin' in this house, with an outdoor wood boiler backup to my in cellar oil boiler...
September to May, I use the wood heat for both heatin', 'n domestic hot water....
Through the Summer, the oil boiler provides the DHW...

If yer in a northern climate, 'n startin' fresh, I'd consider Hydronics....
It's Much quieter, 'n I believe Much more efficient...

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
jackpine (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Indentured Servant

Rewards Points: 75

DIY needing info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... Just My opinion,...

'round here, AC ain't needed, especially central air....
That said,...
Water is a Much Better conveyor of heat, over air...
Water pipin' takes Way less space,...
In floor radiant is by far, the finest heatin' you can use...

I've got hot water baseboard heatin' in this house, with an outdoor wood boiler backup to my in cellar oil boiler...
September to May, I use the wood heat for both heatin', 'n domestic hot water....
Through the Summer, the oil boiler provides the DHW...

If yer in a northern climate, 'n startin' fresh, I'd consider Hydronics....
It's Much quieter, 'n I believe Much more efficient...
I agree with you, but what is holding me back in that regard is the expense involved. The outdoor wood boiler is a great thing to have but then I can't go anyplace for an extended amount of time without a backup which is another expense. There are some really good wood furnaces available today, namely one from a local company, http://www.lamppakuuma.com/ that are very efficient. I could install an indoor gas boiler and go your route too. I do appreciate your advice but kind of have my mind set on the forced air method right now. I would have to research how to install the in floor piping properly and probably should. thanks.
jackpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,286

DIY needing info

Quote:
There are some really good wood furnaces available today,
Ayuh,... I built my own boiler,...matter of fact, I built the whole system, tyin' it into the existin' house system,...
but anyways,...

There's also many, very nice Indoor wood boilers out there,...
I can't recommend any, as I haven't been studyin' 'em...

If I were lookin' into 1,... Look at the Gassifiers... the 2 stage burn units,...

Last edited by Bondo; 01-17-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 AM   #5
REP

Rewards Points: 500

DIY needing info

For a propane furnace,the first thing you need to know is how big does it need to be to heat the house.You don't want to consider the wood burner in this calculation in case you are sick or something you would still need to protect your house.There are heat loss programs you can use on the internet or you can hire a contractor to do a manual "J" and a manual "D".The second thing you need to do is get the right duct system installed.a house furnace needs to breathe properly and if you want to do more than protect the furnace and you want actual comfort in your individual rooms ,all the rooms except the kitchen and bathrooms should have a return air.Afteer everything is installed a pressure check on the furnace gas train should be done and a temp rise done acording to the furnace instructions.It should be on its own circut breaker .Venting the appliance need sto be considered.80% units need "B" vent all the way through the roof.90% units need 2 3" pvc lines from the furnace out a side basement wall.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote