Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
STAFF

Share |

DIY HVAC Total Install

I hope to do a complete HVAC install in our small house. I have checked on some of the sizes of the ducts but have a lot more research before I can start. Just recently we installed a small half bath with the intentions of a complete remodel of our main bathroom. The wall mount electric tower heat we had was removed so we would have a place for the door of the half bath, so we have no heat at all now.

We want to install just a heating unit for now as we can't afford an AC unit right now. We will be heating 864 sq ft, 2 bedrooms 1 1/2 bath. I will try to post a sketch of our floor plan as soon as I can figure out how to change the format of my sketch program.

I have built many houses but never have actually installed a heat and air system, I always left that to the pros. I need all the help I can get. I will post the house plan here in a little while.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Doc Holliday (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
DIY staff

DIY HVAC Total Install

Beenthere and Doc---I'm counting on your help, Jim is my friend---and a good one,too.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #3

DIY HVAC Total Install

If you have specific questions that would be better not sure what you already know and what you need to know.
afrye707 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afrye707 For This Useful Post:
BigJim (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

DIY HVAC Total Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Beenthere and Doc---I'm counting on your help, Jim is my friend---and a good one,too.
Any friend of yours is a friend of mine.

Jim, ask away.
BigJim (09-02-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
STAFF

DIY HVAC Total Install

I will be back in the morning, got to get a little shut eye for a few. I really do appreciate your help. I don't know the first thing about heat and air, I hired all that work out. Thanks again fellows.

Jim
Old 09-03-2012, 04:45 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

DIY HVAC Total Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Jim is my friend
We won't hold that against him.

LOL
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
BigJim (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
STAFF

DIY HVAC Total Install

I will try to post a sketch of our floor plan, I hope it works.

That worked, the living area is not the heated area of our house, the heated area is 864 sq ft. What I want to do and what I can do is probably two different things. I want to run my duct work then buy the heat unit later as our funds allow. I am thinking the unit can be located under the kitchen window. This is a link to the unit I am thinking about. I don't know if this unit goes outside or under the house.
http://www.acdirect.com/xcart/produc...productid=3219

I guess I need to start with what size ducts and where they go first. I really do appreciate any help you can give me, I don't have a clue about HVAC.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY HVAC Total Install-house-floor-plan.jpg  

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 09-03-2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Added
Old 09-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

DIY HVAC Total Install

That's a Rheem 2.5 ton electric air handler. It's the inside unit and has the blower, the evaporator coil which is used for cooling in conjunction with the outside condensing unit (which of course you'd have refrigerant lines connecting the two) and then the electric heat strips which you may need to purchase separately.

for under 900 sq ft I'm thinking that a 1.5 to 2 ton system would be the best bet. The 2.5 ton seems far too big unless you keep your windows and doors open 24 hours a day.

I come to this conclusion without a heat load analysis via a rule of thumb, 500 sq ft per one ton so 2.5 tons could cover 1250 sq ft, almost twice as much as you have.

Now this is concerning the cooling mode but with that much cool air blowing in a much smaller than designed application the unit will satisfy the thermostat quickly which means shorter run times which means high humidity. An a/c is supposed to remove moisture from the air which it can only do if it runs. High humidity equals yourself felling icky sticky as the moisture content of an air molecule is what counts and if left unaddressed can also lead to mold and mildew issues in the ducts and in your home.

I'm sorry I got into the a/c side, I'll get into the heating side when I come back. Hang in there!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
AKA HVACTECHFW

DIY HVAC Total Install

Jim,
I would direct you to the bottom of the link you posted
Quote:
Under the terms of all manufacturer's warranty and to comply with federal refrigerant handling laws, it is required that the system be checked, started up and signed-off on by a licensed air conditioning/heating contractor prior to use. Failure to comply with this provision will void all factory warranties. Keep a copy of the installation ticket for your records. Please ensure that all supply and return ductwork is properly sized and that a permit is obtained (where required). Always conform with applicable local and state codes. Electrical connections should only be made by a licensed electrical contractor. Unqualified persons should never attempt installation of this or any HVAC system.
Barring that, you can do what you want, but I think you need to gain a great deal of knowledge (more than you can learn here or online) before starting such an endeavor.

Last edited by hvactech126; 09-03-2012 at 10:38 AM.
hvactech126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
STAFF

DIY HVAC Total Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
That's a Rheem 2.5 ton electric air handler. It's the inside unit and has the blower, the evaporator coil which is used for cooling in conjunction with the outside condensing unit (which of course you'd have refrigerant lines connecting the two) and then the electric heat strips which you may need to purchase separately.

for under 900 sq ft I'm thinking that a 1.5 to 2 ton system would be the best bet. The 2.5 ton seems far too big unless you keep your windows and doors open 24 hours a day.

I come to this conclusion without a heat load analysis via a rule of thumb, 500 sq ft per one ton so 2.5 tons could cover 1250 sq ft, almost twice as much as you have.

Now this is concerning the cooling mode but with that much cool air blowing in a much smaller than designed application the unit will satisfy the thermostat quickly which means shorter run times which means high humidity. An a/c is supposed to remove moisture from the air which it can only do if it runs. High humidity equals yourself felling icky sticky as the moisture content of an air molecule is what counts and if left unaddressed can also lead to mold and mildew issues in the ducts and in your home.

I'm sorry I got into the a/c side, I'll get into the heating side when I come back. Hang in there!
Wow, that is really interesting Doc, when you think of it, that makes a lot on sense. I do want to install AC but not now. I guess things have changed or maybe figuring heat and AC is different as far as tones of a unit go. Back when I was building, the rule of thumb was 1 ton per 800 sq ft or maybe it is the zone we are in. Thanks for this information, I love to learn.

Jim
Old 09-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #11
STAFF

DIY HVAC Total Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
Jim,
I would direct you to the bottom of the link you posted Barring that, you can do what you want, but I think you need to gain a great deal of knowledge (more than you can learn here or online) before starting such an endeavor.
hvactech126, I do appreciate your concern and if I were in a better financial position I surely would go that route, but being on a fixed income makes it out of my reach. I have three friends who are HVAC techs but hate to impose on anyone who is trying to make a living at it. One of my friends is insisting he will run my duct work but like I said I hate to impose on anyone working, it is tough enough to make a living these days.

I want to do this as I am really slow and would only be a drag on anyone who helped me, if I get in over my head I will ask for help, I want to learn all I can also, not to mention the money end. Thanks again.

Jim
Old 09-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #12

DIY HVAC Total Install

Just a thought based on your name, maybe you could barter with some one your skill for theirs?

The guys here are great to help you, they recently helped me with my mother in law ac!

Good luck!
BigJim (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
An old Tradesmen

DIY HVAC Total Install

So far you only have 742 CFM, which is enough for 2 tons with good moisture removal ability.

Are you planning on running a full trunk line for both the return and supply.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #14
STAFF

DIY HVAC Total Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
So far you only have 742 CFM, which is enough for 2 tons with good moisture removal ability.

Are you planning on running a full trunk line for both the return and supply.
Would that be what you would do? If so would you explain how and what I would need to do that. I plan to use the flex pipe and a friend has told me how to keep the pipe from drooping as I tie it to the floor joists. I am just totally green as where to start and with what.

As for floor supplies I think one in each bedroom, the main bath, living room, kitchen and laundry room. About the only place for the return air would be in the hall and build the box in the closet of the main bedroom. This little house is really easy to heat. Does this look like what you would do?

Jim
Old 09-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #15
An old Tradesmen

DIY HVAC Total Install

I'd run n 8X20(for me probably 8X22) trunk line. 2-6" in bedroom 1, 1-6" in bedroom 2, a 5" to the bathroom, and a 5" to the laundry room, 2-6" on the outside wall of the living room, and a 7" on the wall of the shop near those steps for the kitchen.

Using the closet to bring up a return will work.