Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2014, 12:17 AM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,000

DIY HRV idea, will this work?

I am designing the hvac system for my server room, essentially it will consist of servo/dampers to direct air to the cold aisle and take from hot aisle and redirect said air to appropriate places based on indoor/outdoor temperature. In winter I want to save the generated heat while in summer I may not want to. Part of this system will consists of a HRV as the actual air still needs to be exhausted outside (battery hydrogen) but I may want to collect the coolness (in summer) or heat (in winter).

This is what I have in mind:

Each section is what a plate would look like, the black would be a non conductive material, probably something like popsicle sticks or something non conductive of similar thickness. The green is variations between each plate type. (hot/cold side)

The vertical black bars are to force the air into a zig zag pattern so it stays longer in the system. The plates would be aluminium or other metal (I still need to find out where I'd buy these and get them cut)

I hope this makes sense. Essentially instead of the standard diamond type I made this more linear. Question is, will this work? Also is it better if both air streams are traveling "against" each other? Or can I have them follow like that? It will be physically easier to incorporate into my system the way I designed it. I may possibly swap the two outs. This can easily be done in how I design the plate separating walls.

The openings would be about 5 inches or so, as the ductwork I'm working with is 5 inches.

Also as a side note, anyone have suggestions on the easiest way to make a motorized damper? I'm thinking of just using a servo to move a piece of foam 90 degrees, servo being in the centre. Foam in case it malfunctions and goes past the setpoint it will just break the foam instead of the servo. Would probably control it via arduino, I think they work via pulse width modulation.

Last edited by Red Squirrel; 08-05-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:04 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,002

So you want to make your own HRV?

The air traveling in the opposite direction would give the greatest heat transfer. Since the bigger the temp difference, the more heat that is transferred.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

That's what I was thinking. I will try to make it that way then. In general will this work though, or is there a very specific science to how they are made such as any special coatings on the plates, or spacing etc... The total space between plates will be at least as much as the area of a 5" circle (duct size) to ensure I don't compromise air flow. Idealy probably more like double that to make up for the increased static pressure.

Just need to source out aluninum and see in what thicknesses it comes in so I can figure out how much I'll need. Thinner the better I imagine? Of course I don't want to go too thin or the plates will fold in on each other and touch. I'm thinking something equivalant to what would be used in duct work.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

The mediaq wheel of an ERV is spaced closely together so that it transfers as much heat as possible. The wider the distance, the more air that flows without giving up its heat.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

Hmm never heard of the wheel ones, how do those work? Found some basic info on Google but not on how they work.

I just came up with a different design, essentially the same thing but "folded" in half so all the ports are on one side.

Basically both pieces are opposing plates and they are staggered. Proportions are not exact. The walls to cause zig zags are probably not needed but that probably would increase efficiency right? Basically I want the air to be in there the longest possible.

I still need to design my handler system with all the dampers so I will use whatever design fits better physically. I came up with a few designs but they were getting pretty complicated as I was working around the traditional diamond style HRV. I had a system where the HRV core is actually the part that moves but that ended up being even more complicated to design.

When buying or getting something made with aluminium sheets is there a standard for the different thicknesses that are available? I will want to know this for when I call companies so I can have an idea of how many slats I'll need to have made. The thinner the more I need. So I will be able to pick a common thickness and then just figure it out from there.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

The wheeled ones work good, and are the most efficient.

Remember, its not how long the air is inside the exchanger that counts as much as . Its how much surface area the air contacts.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:24 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

Ah ok, so are my separators pretty much useless then? Should I just make it a U? I will be sure to go thin enough on the metal and maximize the thickness so I can have lot of surface area.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:25 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Might want to put vanes in it. To make the air weave back and forth so it makes best contact with the sides.