Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #1

Share |

DIY home install

Hi Guys, Ive been lurking for a while and not really sure what I am doing.
I have an 1100 sq foot house (built in 1955) that has heat only (furnace is in a hallway closet), the duct work im told is wrapped in asbestos. The furnace is very old. I've recently acquired a goodman 3.5 ton compressor, furnace (80.0 AFUE), cooling coil, air filter, breaker box & thermostat. I would like to install as much as possible by myself. BTW the goodman does not have any r-22 in it.

Any suggestions, pointers or links to somewhere that would help me in a detailed explanation on how to accomplish this would be be very much appreciated.

thank you
John
Attached Thumbnails
DIY home install-img_0118.jpg  
jamminjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #2

DIY home install

you will need an evaporator coil in an air handler that attaches to the furnace first. you will also need R-22 and copper linesets, insulation for the linesets, a filter dryer, custom ductwork, etc. etc. etc. you will also need several hundred dollars worth of tools and brazing equipment that takes time and skill to learn how to do.

without extensive knowledge of what you are doing, especially when dealing with asbestos, you really are getting in way over your head. HVAC is not simple and requires a lot of custom and expensive tools.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #3

DIY home install

3.5 tons sounds over sized for an 1100 foot house. Can't tell without load calc.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:36 PM   #4

DIY home install

Is there anything that it easy enough for DIY to save on some cash?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

DIY home install

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamminjohn View Post
Is there anything that it easy enough for DIY to save on some cash?
Cut your own grass, paint your own home, wash your own car. Installing a hvac system is not really a diy job, unless you want to tear out the old, and do everything you can with the new, with the exception of connecting the lineset & electrical.

I am with COLDIRON, in that unless you have done a Manual J, and know that the 3.5 ton outside unit & the furnace that you got is sized properly for your home, you may have problems with it working properly. That whole set up looks practically brand new.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
vln
Underwriter

DIY home install

So what if it is a bit over sized? Maybe his home has poor insulation or has small ducts.

You should be able to get rid of the old furnace by yourself and position and connect the furnace and ac by yourself, then just hire somebody to run the line and charge the system.
vln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
30 year tech

DIY home install

Quote:
Originally Posted by vln
So what if it is a bit over sized? Maybe his home has poor insulation or has small ducts.

You should be able to get rid of the old furnace by yourself and position and connect the furnace and ac by yourself, then just hire somebody to run the line and charge the system.
That system will be way oversized as stated. If the ducts are small as you said he won't be able to push near enough air for that system. Also it will short cycle and not remove any humidity.
There are many problems with an oversized system.
hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

DIY home install

Using that 3.5 ton in your 1100 sq ft house. Puts you at 314 sq ft per ton. that puts you on par with a lot of commercial applications. You'll be able to have a party in your house with 50 people and still keep it very cool in the house. probably won't be able to get the humidity below 70% though. Which can cause mold, and then health problems. So you'll need 2 large portable dehumidifiers. or one of those 90 pint a day 2,000 dollar whole house dehumidifiers.

How big is the furnace. And is your current duct work large enough to handle the air the furnace will need to move to be able to operate?

PS: My house is older then yours, its 1650 sq ft, has a 2.5 ton A/C(it was here before me), and its over sized. Took some tweaking to get it so i don't have to set the thermostat to 68 to feel comfortable.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #9

DIY home install

Yep. Many of the homes in my neighborhood are 1000 square feet built in 1955. It's been right at 100 for days and a ton and a half is keeping it a cool 74 degrees with no problems. With a 3.5 ton unit I'd need to build 2000 square foot addition.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

DIY home install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
Yep. Many of the homes in my neighborhood are 1000 square feet built in 1955. It's been right at 100 for days and a ton and a half is keeping it a cool 74 degrees with no problems. With a 3.5 ton unit I'd need to build 2000 square foot addition.
Or open a window on each side of the house to add a enough load for it.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:12 AM   #11

DIY home install

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Or open a window on each side of the house to add a enough load for it.
Ha Ha HA LOL that's a good one.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #12

DIY home install

Can the duct work be replaced by a diy'er?
Old 08-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #13

DIY home install

Ok..let's not jump to conclusions about the sizing. This is an old house. I have sized homes from the 30's and 40's. Little if any wall insulation. No vapor barriers. And large amounts of window areas. The last one was a 1600 sqft from 1943. The load came in at 5 tons. That didn't look right so I ran the numbers on thee different programs. All said in the range of 5 tons. Presented to the customer and he said "your full of...". He went with the 2.5 ton proposal, installed in march. Then the phone call in july..asking if proposal was still good. The unit was way undersized. The point of this is that untill your at the home and do the numbers we have no idea what his proper size should be. Yes 3.5 tons on 1150 sqft is large. But as a professional you should be able to adjust the velocity with ductwork sizing to keep from having gale force winds in the house.

To the OP. This is not by any means a DIY project. You are looking at electrical upgrades, running new branch circuits, full duct system, and a slew of codes that even get missed by guys doing this everyday. The asbestos removal is hazardous in itself. You might want to do some research and see if there is some program to help you on that.
What you are looking to have done is generally refered to as a "full cut". These generally range from 8 to 12 thousand.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:16 AM   #14
An old Tradesmen

DIY home install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Cold View Post
Ok..let's not jump to conclusions about the sizing. This is an old house. I have sized homes from the 30's and 40's. Little if any wall insulation. No vapor barriers. And large amounts of window areas. The last one was a 1600 sqft from 1943. The load came in at 5 tons. That didn't look right so I ran the numbers on thee different programs. All said in the range of 5 tons. Presented to the customer and he said "your full of...". He went with the 2.5 ton proposal, installed in march. Then the phone call in july..asking if proposal was still good. The unit was way undersized. The point of this is that untill your at the home and do the numbers we have no idea what his proper size should be. Yes 3.5 tons on 1150 sqft is large. But as a professional you should be able to adjust the velocity with ductwork sizing to keep from having gale force winds in the house.

To the OP. This is not by any means a DIY project. You are looking at electrical upgrades, running new branch circuits, full duct system, and a slew of codes that even get missed by guys doing this everyday. The asbestos removal is hazardous in itself. You might want to do some research and see if there is some program to help you on that.
What you are looking to have done is generally refered to as a "full cut". These generally range from 8 to 12 thousand.

My place was built in the 50's, its a story and a half, 1650 sq ft. My 2.5 ton(here before me) is over sized. If it wouldn't be that I have the blower slowed to 280 CFM per ton, I'd have to set my thermostat to 68 to be comfortable.