Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

DIY ductless AC/heat pump install

I'm considering installing a ductless AC/heat pump system for our first floor. I've had two contractors give estimates and both arrived at a 24,000 btu heat pump with 2 indoor units. Their estimates were actually close together, but it was still more than I planned to spend. Anyway, I'm considering doing the bulk of the installation myself, and one of the contractors said he could finish the setup and test it for $1200.

So I'm wondering 1) if its feasible for me to install it myself. I've remodeled our bathroom, relocated the washer/dryer hookup to a different floor, remodeled and re-wired the basement, and once upon a time I had a mobile air conditioning certification to work on car ACs 2) is $1200 a reasonable price to finish the setup? It sounds like he would only connect the lines, charge, test.

After federal/state ductless rebates and paying the contractor to finish the job, it would cost $4500 to do it myself vs $6500-$7000 for the contractors to do the whole thing. So the savings is significant, but does it all sound reasonable as a DIY project?

gbook2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 544

I have thought about doing this to add a zone to my upstairs and looked into it enough to think it's doable with skills similar to yours. I'd be really careful about making sure the electrical runs and connections, especially the 240v to the outside condenser unit, are up to code. That part I would have to look up on and ask over in the electrical forum. I can see how DIY'ing a good part of this could save some $$ what with the wiring and perhaps drywall repairs from running inside wiring. Sounds like a fun project!

Old 08-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Yrs, doable yourself save for final connect, charge, and test. As with any service shop around for price and experience. $1200 sounds like too much, but I am not knowing the details and scope of the work needed for you installation.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

there is no charge .... compressor already has the charge in it for normal installations ..... flushing the new lineset, and pulling a vaccum would be the issue because of the tool costs, flaring tool for the line set ..... IMHO ...
Old 08-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 544

Exactly, the charge should be good for most standard installs. The manual would tell you how long a lineset it is good for. So, connection and evac is all the tech would have to do in theory... maybe check the system with his gauges to make sure it is operating to spec. But the connection part... I have never worked on a mini before so assumed it would need to be brazed up, but then I saw this. It looks like you can get the linesets pre-made with the proper end connections for the inside and outside units like the example below. I am not sure if this is standard across all mini brands but it would simplify that part of the job.

http://ecomfort.com/ductless-mini-sp...8-25--564.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Master View Post
there is no charge .... compressor already has the charge in it for normal installations ..... flushing the new lineset, and pulling a vaccum would be the issue because of the tool costs, flaring tool for the line set ..... IMHO ...
Old 08-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,022

Connections on mini's are flare connections.