Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Share |

DIY central air with water, would it work?

It's been very hot lately and I've been thinking of ways to keep cool. I don't have AC and can't afford it at this point, though I might buy one of those portable units and rig something up so I can make it exhaust through my window (crank window).

I saw some videos where people have been successfull in passing cold water in a copper coil with a fan blowing over it. The thing with that is you need to generate said cold water or ice, and generating this creates heat. So while the principal works, it is generating heat elsewhere in the house (ex: the freezer). I was thinking of bringing this a step ahead, and getting one of those small freezers that open from the top, and adding a water coil in there, and a coil inside the furnace return with condensate drain pan. The freezer would be put outside the house, and the two lines would pass through the wall like the AC coil lines would.

Basically it would work exactly like a central air system but instead of the freon lines going in the house and furnace, it's chilled water. This is a very basic explanation of what I'm thinking of, there's lot of safety and other aspects I have though of already. Think this would work? Could a typical freezer actually keep up with this or would I burn it out?

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Nyet. Sounds like a Red Green project. LOL. You would need a freezer with a compressor of at least 8-10,000 BTU/hr or more and would lose some cooling thru the pipes etc. Check the BTU rating of window shakers at Rona. I have seen a guy try use well water and a pump but the whole coil sweats like crazy and cannnot get cold enough to dehumidify your house so you get cold clammy air. The average AC coil is running 34-40 deg and indirect systems never can match that.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
I saw some videos where people have been successfull in passing cold water in a copper coil with a fan blowing over it.
Decades ago a guy put an auto radiator in his ductwork and circulated well water through it. He claimed it worked, but nobody believed him.

In view of post #2, he might have lucked out in his particular climate.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

Yeah was thinking that, I am adding an extra step in the whole process so I'd never be able to get the line cold enough without lot of loss.

I was also thinking of using some kind of coolent instead of water, then put blocks of dry ice in the freezer, but that would last what, a few hours? lol.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
Military Mom of 4

Quote:
It's been very hot lately and I've been thinking of ways to keep cool. I don't have AC and can't afford it at this point, though I might buy one of those portable units and rig something up so I can make it exhaust through my window (crank window).

I saw some videos where people have been successfull in passing cold water in a copper coil with a fan blowing over it. The thing with that is you need to generate said cold water or ice, and generating this creates heat. So while the principal works, it is generating heat elsewhere in the house (ex: the freezer). I was thinking of bringing this a step ahead, and getting one of those small freezers that open from the top, and adding a water coil in there, and a coil inside the furnace return with condensate drain pan. The freezer would be put outside the house, and the two lines would pass through the wall like the AC coil lines would.

Basically it would work exactly like a central air system but instead of the freon lines going in the house and furnace, it's chilled water. This is a very basic explanation of what I'm thinking of, there's lot of safety and other aspects I have though of already. Think this would work? Could a typical freezer actually keep up with this or would I burn it out?
I'm planning on getting a small window unit (cost $80.00) and constructing a cold-box that it will sit in and run with an access door and exit-tubes for channeling the cold air through to other rooms in the house.

I don't have central heat/air at all - and it's already 90 in the house on average, now, and the 100's aren't even here yet.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snav View Post
I'm planning on getting a small window unit (cost $80.00) and constructing a cold-box that it will sit in and run with an access door and exit-tubes for channeling the cold air through to other rooms in the house.
You'll probably need one rated for industrial or commercial use. Otherwise it will die soon.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
Military Mom of 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
You'll probably need one rated for industrial or commercial use. Otherwise it will die soon.
Well, by the circulation being enclosed it wouldn't have to run constantly. Most types are programmable and can be set to monitor the surrounding air temperature and cycle to maintain it.

Might not be the pretties thing in the house But I'll build it - if anything, I might have to just get a larger unit but I think the small one will work fine.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

You would need to put the coil in the furnaces air discharge. Or you would ruin the furnace if you put it in the return.

As Yuri said, it would take a large capacity freezer. But, there is hope there.

You could use it like an off peak system. You would run the freezer when you weren't cooling the house, and freeze the water in it. Then circulate a solution of antifreeze and water through the coil/pipes you had in the freezer. Your coil in the furnace would drop to a low enough temp that it would dehumidify, and cool your house. You would need a flow regulator, since as the ice melted, and you just had cold water in the freezer, you would need to move more water through the coil.

An 18 cubic foot freezer. Would need to have a large BTU capacity. It would take 21,592 BTUs to turn 18 CF of water from 32 water to 32 ice. So Yuri's BTU estimate is about right. if you let the freezer run when ever it needs to keep the ice frozen.

The cost of the freezer, coil, pump and other controls, won't be all that cheap though.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #9
Wire Chewer

Actually I was wondering that too, put a window unit in my basement window, and channel the air through the return duct. Maybe more effective then my original idea?
Old 05-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
You would need to put the coil in the furnaces air discharge. Or you would ruin the furnace if you put it in the return.

As Yuri said, it would take a large capacity freezer. But, there is hope there.

You could use it like an off peak system. You would run the freezer when you weren't cooling the house, and freeze the water in it. Then circulate a solution of antifreeze and water through the coil/pipes you had in the freezer. Your coil in the furnace would drop to a low enough temp that it would dehumidify, and cool your house. You would need a flow regulator, since as the ice melted, and you just had cold water in the freezer, you would need to move more water through the coil.

An 18 cubic foot freezer. Would need to have a large BTU capacity. It would take 21,592 BTUs to turn 18 CF of water from 32 water to 32 ice. So Yuri's BTU estimate is about right. if you let the freezer run when ever it needs to keep the ice frozen.

The cost of the freezer, coil, pump and other controls, won't be all that cheap though.
So putting it in the return would not be good? Is it because it's blocking too much air from going in? I could put it in the plenum, I'd just have to make sure it works right the first time, with no leaks or it would not be pretty. And yeah this may end up costing a lot to the point where it's not worth it, and may as well spend a bit more on a real system. I'd have to price all the parts I'd need and go from there.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:34 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Actually I was wondering that too, put a window unit in my basement window, and channel the air through the return duct. Maybe more effective then my original idea?
Or it may not be able to move enough air through the tubes, and then freezes up.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Putting it in the return. Cause the cold air to blow over the heat exchanger. And cause condensation inside the heat exchanger. And rust it out.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #13
Hvac Pro

Sears Super Saturday or spend your Cdn Tire $$ on a window shaker. (I love/hate that name as I lived in apartments too long with them).
Old 05-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #14
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Putting it in the return. Cause the cold air to blow over the heat exchanger. And cause condensation inside the heat exchanger. And rust it out.
Ah right that makes sense, so best to put it above the heat exchanger along with a method to catch the condensate and drain it.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:08 PM   #15

google Swamp Coolers, they use in mid west. not sure if climate needs to be arrid