Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
RWB

Share |

Distribution box material

(Residential work)
Hello where I live they make a return box for the air handler (in the garage) out of wood. Some contractors have us (carpenters) do it instead of the HVAC guys since we tend to do a little neater job. I have noticed that some AC guys will line the wood box with fiberglass duct board and some will not.
My question is: I need to make a 3'x3' distribution box in my attic (at my home) for a duct modification (due to remodel). However I'm not that good at fabricating ductboard so I'm wondering could I just build the box out of plywood, apply a sealer inside and insulate the outside. Is there any reason why I could not use wood for this application. It would be located about midway between the end of the ductwork and the airhandler in the garage.
Appreciate all opinions or input.

RWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Best to insulate the inside. As the wood would be cool. And any air infiltration from the attic would tend to allow moisture to condense on the wood. And provide an area for mold ot grow.

This is on the return your talking about right. Since code prohibits wood on a supply that can reach temps above 120°F.

And would also have the potential for mold growth in cooling mode.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
RWB

Well no I obviously did not word my location effectively, I need to put it in the attic about midway of the supply duct length. So then code does not allow wood for supply ducts that have heating, I did not know that. I know that the attic itself gets to about 128 degrees in the summer and it is full of wood. But that is what I wanted to know. Problem is unless I have a HVAC license I none of the supply houses will sell me the ductboard. Not sure what to do now, since I don't want to pay what an AC company will charge to do it. Any ideas of a legal (and safe) material that I could buy at Home Cheapo or Lowes ?
Old 01-16-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Just look on line/internet. You'll find suppliers that will sell you duct board and ship it to you.
One or 2 such suppliers, are probably members here.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
RWB

Thanks, I searched for about 15 mins and quite a few clicks but only found one that would actually sell me fiberglass duct but it was all prefab units, no sheets. I sent them email to find where they were at. I would think the shipping for this would be expensinve due to size ? Still not sure what to do with this situation. The local suppliers are locked up tight. Strange since I can go to any plumbing supply and still buy anything but not so with HVAC.

Last edited by RWB; 01-17-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Last night. I searched, and found a place in 1 minute.

Lowest price i saw was 38 bucks a sheet. And that was for R4.2
Old 01-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #7

Tried buying from the local HVAC shop instead of a supply house?
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
RWB

Well that is definitely a good idea. There is one guy that I used to know personally that owns HVAC company but I haven't seen him in 12yrs. I will try that. I also did another search tonight online and finally just gave it up after about 10 mins of endless link clicking. I wish I knew the exact words to type in the search, I'm using { fiberglass duct board } and I get a lot of hits but 98% of them end up being endless links that never turn anything up except false advertising and the others end up being HVAC companies wanting contact info to give me a bid on installation.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

internet duct board direct purchase

You should get a link to Keith