Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Distributing Woodstove Heat help?

I have an idea that im trying to make reality. I have a decent size woodstove installed in my basement. i have a 2200 sq ft raised ranch. the woodstove is located right next to furnace. even if i crank to woodstove the furtherest bedroom doesnt get as warm as id like it. i leave my furnace off to save on heating costs. What i want to do is put vents in my return line to the furnace and be able to manually control the furnace blower. so i can have to 80 deg tempuratures in the basemnt and have them sucked up and blown through out the house. couple of questions i have. is there a unit that i can buy that i can wire to either have the blower on a timer or manullay switched on and off and second does anyone have recomendations about putting vents into return lines in basement. I will use my awesome drawing skills to give you an idea of what im looking to do.
Attached Images

Last edited by smercier11; 10-06-2011 at 08:58 PM.
smercier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #2

This is where a variable speed blower motor in the furnace would come in handy, nice quiet air circulation.
Is your furnace in a large room? I dont know what your local codes are but what I grew up with, we couldnt have a return vent in the same area with the furnace. The furnace had to be in an enclosed area with its own air for combustion. I have however been to some states where the furnace was sitting right in the middle of a finished basement but I dont recall seeing any return vents near it.
I'm sure someone will chime in that has more experience with this type of situation.

sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:55 PM   #3

I know my furnace is hooked up to a induction vent that goes outside. Yes my furnace is in a decent size room aka basement, and the furnace is not enclosed.
smercier11 is offline   Reply With Quote