Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Distributing woodstove heat

So our new woodstove can really put out a lot of heat. I can turn on the ceiling fan and it will help blow some of the heat off the ceiling into the adjacent hallway area.

I've experimented with running the blower on the heatpump, and it will sort of help. The far rooms will come up a couple degrees from where they were. Maybe 66 instead of 64. In the mean time I can easily get the living room into the mid to upper 70's.

Here's a picture. The stove is the red star; the return is the blue square. Air flows into the return as indicated by the arrowhead.

(Not to scale and some details (like doors and closets) not shown.

What I'm thinking about doing is cutting a hole in the back of the return and mounting a six inch fan in it. This would (perhaps?) blow warm air from the hot room into the back of the house, where it would hopefully circulate some into the other back rooms. Cutting a hole in the return would require only tin-snips and would be easily reversed with duct tape. I'd need a way to seal the fan opening when it wasn't being used, but I think I can manage that.

What do you think?

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Where is the thermostat for the HVAC? I think I would relocate it as far away from the woodstove as possible and then crank back the woodstove and let the HVAC system keep the rest of the house warm.

That will be the most comfortable way of doing things.

If you are running the woodstove to save on heating costs then you may need to live with what you have. I dont see how opening up the reurn on the other side of the wall will help much. Is it at floor or ceiling?

Maybe a better way would be to put some of those fans in that hang in doorways.
http://www.google.com/products?q=doorway+fan

Goodluck

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,678

Probably won't work as well as you think.

No more air will come out of that room, then goes into it.
The fan may pull more air from the other room, instead of from the heated room.

If you make the hole the same size on in both rooms. And then cover it in the other room. It will work better.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
No more air will come out of that room, then goes into it.
If I blow warm air into the cold room, then air in that room will be displaced into the next room, and so forth, until it gets back to the warm room -- it will travel in a large circle.

It seems the reall issue is sizing the fan -- I don't know how many cubic feet per minute I need to move to make a real difference.

The return is on the wall at the floor -- I could make an opening at about 3 feet from the floor. With the ceiling fan running in the warm room the air is fairly uniform in temperature.

The thermostat is over the return.

The more I think about it the more sense it makes (from a functional standpoint) to make a new hole in the wall at ceiling height with a blower in it. I just don't really want more holes in the walls.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

What makes you think. The air will travel through the whole room where the stove is.
What makes you think it won't stay near the walls, So that the cooler air is circulated, instead of the warmer air.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #6

Quote:
What makes you think. The air will travel through the whole room where the stove is.
What makes you think it won't stay near the walls, So that the cooler air is circulated, instead of the warmer air.

The thermometer at the location of the return reads 78F. That's the air that I want to move. As I said, I can move the warm air by turning on the HVAC fan. The warm air is sucked in by the return and blown through the house. It just isn't very efficient, and I think a lot of it ends up heating the dirt in the crawlspace that the return duct sits on.

I'd like to blow the air directly into that other room -- it's usually the coolest room and it's the one I'm most interested in having a little more heat in.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Seems like something fairly easy to try
IF the hole will be near the ceiling then I would try it
Friends old house had vents in the 2nd floor to 1st floor ceiling
The vents & the staircase was the extent of the 2nd foor heat
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:33 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Still wouldn't waste money on a fan. Just make a second return opening in that room at the thermostat location. Since the stat should be near or at a return in its location.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Still wouldn't waste money on a fan. Just make a second return opening in that room at the thermostat location. Since the stat should be near or at a return in its location.

If there's no fan the air won't circulate.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:04 AM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Sure it will. You can cover up the other return(put a block inside the return).

The central units blower will circulate all the air to all the rooms. And since it draws all of the return from the room with the stove. That air returning from all the other rooms will mix with the warm/hot air in that room. And be resupplied to all the other rooms.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Sure it will. You can cover up the other return(put a block inside the return).

The central units blower will circulate all the air to all the rooms. And since it draws all of the return from the room with the stove. That air returning from all the other rooms will mix with the warm/hot air in that room. And be resupplied to all the other rooms.
I already talked about that. It doesn't work well enough. I think the hot air probably cools off in the return duct work which is lying on the cold ground in the crawl space.

What I want to do is move the air directly from the warm room to the cold room.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #12
Newbie Bill

Sounds like you need one of these.

But seriously, be careful of moving too much air out of the room as you may also draw flue gases into the home.
Attached Thumbnails
Distributing woodstove heat-fan.jpg  

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtbk4ever View Post
Sounds like you need one of these.

But seriously, be careful of moving too much air out of the room as you may also draw flue gases into the home.
Thanks! I think as long as the doors remain open that whatever air I blow into the cold room will make it's way back through the house. It shouldn't create much of a pressure differential. Now if all the doors were closed it would be a different story.

As things are, the stove drafts like a vaccuum cleaner, so I'm not too worried. I have learned though, to alway open the damper prior to opening the door, or else it will belch a giant cloud of black smoke!

After this discussion, I'm currently leaning towards cutting a 16" square hole in the back of the return and finding a 16" box fan to place there. I'll put a filter behind it too, in case the door is accidentally left open.