Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 596

Dirty Air Handler

Had a tenant for 2 years that just moved out...shocked and horrified to just noticed he never bothered to use a filter for the AC. The slot where the filter goes - nothing there and I looked up and it's filthy.

These "filaments" are very delicate, and I have a water heater right below this opening. Any tricks of the trade you can recommend on how to clean this up?

Thanks in advance.

miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,818

Dirty Air Handler

Use this.

Graingers should carry it.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 694

Dirty Air Handler

Why would the tenent service the air handler?
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 156

Dirty Air Handler

If you are a landlord, did you explain to them how to change the filter? Did you provide filters for them? Was it in your lease that they are responsible for purchasing filters and changing them?

If you did not do that, then with the next tenant, might I suggest that you do?

"Human beings can always be relied upon to assert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid"
Dean Koontz - Seize The Night
FClef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
Experienced HVAC Tech

Rewards Points: 250

Dirty Air Handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FClef
If you are a landlord, did you explain to them how to change the filter? Did you provide filters for them? Was it in your lease that they are responsible for purchasing filters and changing them?

If you did not do that, then with the next tenant, might I suggest that you do?
Also maybe take some off their damage deposit. That is if you were good enough to get one upfront
HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:20 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 596

Dirty Air Handler

My lease stipulated that they need to change AC filter every 30 days AND pour bleach down the condensate line every 60 days. I showed them how to do it upon moving in.

This is pretty standard and customary down here in Florida when you rent there is a full two pages in the ad delineating what's the responsibility of the landlord and what's tenant's.
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:08 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,344

Dirty Air Handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelectric View Post
Why would the tenant service the air handler?
I am asking that myself. Sounds like there is more to the story here.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 274

Dirty Air Handler

1) Clean it with a shop vac and brush attachment
2) Spray it with Simple Green citrus/citric based cleaner from HDepot or grocery store and then flush it with lots of clean water. Other cleaners will attack the aluminum.
3) Make sure you runs lots of water down its drain and make sure it is working when done. sometimes gunk gets in it from the cleaning process.

Last edited by yuri; 09-26-2013 at 01:42 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #9
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Dirty Air Handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicuse View Post

I am confused.

I asked an exceedingly simple and practical question. How to clean this AC coil that is very dirty.

I never said I am to seek damages from the ex-tenant. I am doing this to get ready for renting.

How does this thread get hijacked into who sues who for this or that nonsense?

Assumption. Lease put together in two seconds not by a lawyer. Fact: Lease is standard Florida Association of Realtors residential lease agreement for condo or multifamily dwellings.
Assumption. Tenant did not read the lease. Fact: Tenant has to initial every page and sign, and where there are checkboxes where the tenant / landlord responsibilities are delineated where there are gray areas, a face to face conversation happened to discuss each in detail before checkboxes were filled in. For example, one item is pest control. Does the tenant want me to go inside his home every month to spray? No? OK, then I spray the outside and he takes care of inside. Fair? Tenant says fine. So I checked pest control inside tenant, outside landlord. Initialed. Exception carpenter ants and termites that's always landlord. AC filter we agree tenant is responsible. Initialed and demonstrated.

but enough, back to how best to clean and restore to serviceable conditions.
Ignore all these guys!
Follow beenthere's advice.
Stupid discussion about what should have happened instead of a straight forward answer.
Why on earth would you need to see before tenant pics of the coil?
So you can say "see it was you the landlord and not your tenants".
Ridiculous!
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,818

Dirty Air Handler

miamicuse. Please let us know how you make out cleaning the coil. Or if you need further assistance on how to clean it.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

Dirty Air Handler

It is important that you know how to clean air conditioner filters in your home. This will make a big difference to the quality of air you breathe when indoors. Regular cleaning will also help improve the efficiency of your air conditioner and keep it in good shape for longer. It is easy to forget about periodic cleaning that is necessary to ensure a healthier breathing environment.
Step 1 - Open the Air Conditioner

Make sure your air conditioner is turned off at the mains. Carefully remove the air conditioner components apart. You may have to use a screw driver to dislodge fitted screws.
Step 2 - Remove Filters

Remove the filters from the air conditioner. It is a good idea to inspect them for any wear and tear effects. If you spot any rips or snags you are better off replacing the filters as to continue using them when worn out will hamper efficiency.
Step 3 - Vacuum

Use a vacuum to get rid off all accumulated dirt and grime. Be as thorough as you can for effective cleaning results.
Step 4 - Sanitize the Filters

Fill a basin with equal portions of water and vinegar. Make sure that you create enough of this solution so that the filters are totally submerged when placed inside. The vinegar will kill harmful bacteria and allergens that may have accumulated in the filters.
Step 5 - Soak

Allow the filters adequate time to soak in the cleaning solution. If you have not cleaned the filters recently, leave them for about 4 hours to get properly sanitized. However, if the filters have only been used moderately or have been recently cleaned, soak for 1 hour.
Step 6 - Drain

Remove the filters from the cleaning solution and allow the mixture to drain off. Do not rinse the filters as to do so will reverse the effects of the sanitizing process. You can place them onto an old towel so that any excess solution is absorbed by the towel.
Step 7 - Dry

Allow the filters to dry naturally while still on the towel. It is best to place the towel outside in the yard or wherever some sunshine is available to facilitate effective drying.
Step 8 - Fit the Filters

Fit back the filters into the air conditioner and replace the air conditioner components. You can now enjoy cleaner, more breathable air.

Thanks all
cruies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:17 AM   #12
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

Dirty Air Handler

What's happening is an obscene perversion of minimal intelligence and intellectualism.

This system requires more return air first and foremost and secondly, a complete air flow leak check. Any one else notice the moisture grabbing the dirt on the evap? It's not simply an accumulation of dry dirt...

Outside of the retainer of who's at fault, a filter changed once a day can still produce the same result of an evaporator coil dirt build up since the return air is leaking, is pulling air (and thus particles of dirt) from outside the particulate and observed as cause return filter.