Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Direct Vent Wall Furnace - Pilot-Help !!

I have a new Empire Comfort Systems Direct Vent Gas Wall Furnace, Model DV-215-7SG. It is the only source of heat in a rear bedroom for an 89 yr old. There is no other option.

It is a new installation. The furnace works fine except on a windy day the pilot goes out and even if re-lit it will continually go out. Otherwise it works fine. The wind is the issue. It is vented through the wall.

The unit is located in an open windy area in a beach community. We also have another one of these, diff manufacturer which had a similar problem because of a gap in the vent pipe tubing thru the wall but it was fixed.

What could be the cause of the pilot blowing out constantly on windy days?

Any recommendations to fix this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

roztom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:34 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,836

In order for the wind to blow out the pilot.
It must have a path into the house/room. Most likely, its not installed right.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #3

COuld you be more specific.. DO you mean a draft thru another leak like a door, etc? BTW, if I nee dit serviced and "re-installed" who do you recommend I call? These type of heaters are not current in the NY area..ideas?

tx
Old 04-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by roztom View Post
I have a new Empire Comfort Systems Direct Vent Gas Wall Furnace, Model DV-215-7SG.

It is a new installation.

Tom

If it is a new installation I would call the installer back and have it repaired or installed correctly. Is it an old unit that was reinstalled? Who installed it?

Do you have access to the Owners/Installation manual? That should tell you the proper installation procedure and you could at least look for an obvious mistake or look at the troubleshooting section for a hint.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #5

THanks: I finally found how to reach Tech Support at the manufacturer. They told me that a draft will not blow the piolt out since it is a sealed unit.. They said that in a windy location like this that I need to put a sheet metal "wind shield" around the vent.

BAsically it would be a piece of three sided sheet metal. which would cover the sides, left & right and then the front. The bottom and top would be open. The left & right sides of the cover would be bent to create a flange to attach to the house.

I will try this and see if it works.. They said that in windy areas, which this is since it is at a beach on the weather side of the house that this should solve the problem... (FIngers crossed)

Tom

Last edited by roztom; 04-28-2010 at 03:52 PM.