Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #1

Share |

Different temperature rooms ( flex ducting )

My house was built in 2008 in the state of WA and it looks like they used flex ducts in the crawl and attic. I've noticed when my a/c is on the upstairs doesn't get as cool as the downstairs does also when the heat is on some of the upstairs ( back bed rooms ) doesn't get as warm as master upstairs or downstairs. I've tried the closing off dampers downstairs to force more air upstairs and even had an hvac guy install a air scoop on the furnace to force more air upstairs. Is there anything else "I" can do myself to improve the efficiently and fix this problem? What about wrapping the flex in more insulation or air sealing? I believe it is just the 4.2 but could be wrong. Replacing the flex with hard pipe isn't an option for me right now. Any info will be appreciated.

Iceman1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:45 AM   #2

Different temperature rooms ( flex ducting )

many will disagree with me, but my experiance as a home owner is that flex duct is bad. very bad.

I changed all of my flex duct out to round sheet metal duct and guess what... all the comfort issues were gone and my electrical bill dropped by 25 percent.

read up on how flex duct should be installed, then look at your installation. I would bet you 20 bucks that you find at least 2 or 3 ways that your flex duct is installed incorrectly.

so where to start? try this site http://askweldin.com/Flex.html and then this site http://www.energyvanguard.com/blog-b...ag=duct+design

I would be happy to detail what I did and how hard it all was. just ask.

bobinphx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hvac, hvac duct, hvac help