Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #1

Share |

Diesel in an Oil Furnace Question

I am running low on heating oil and used diesel fuel instead due to the fact that my oil company could not get out to me right away.

However, I entrusted someone else to handle this for me while I was on a job all day.

The heat is working fine, and there is no weird smell or anything.

However, just for peace of mind: if this idiot used gasoline, even just one can, by mistake-- I would know, right? Like my house would have ALREADY blown up, correct? Would it rest on top of the diesel and remaining oil and blow me up later? I have had the heat on for about an hour and it seems to be fine, but I'm really, really paranoid and nervous about it.

RonMexico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:05 PM   #2

*bump*

RonMexico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:52 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

If he would have used gasoline, it would have gone boom by now. As the gas would have mixed with the oil.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
I'm really, really paranoid
Ayuh,.... apparently for no reason at all,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (02-14-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 10:54 PM   #5

I have been running diesel in my oil furnace for a good part of the winter. Local grocery store gives "fuel points" and I can fill up to 35 gallons. I take jerry-cans to their gas station after we get at least $30 cents off. I can then turn in the receipts and get the road tax off of it. It then ends up coming out right much cheaper than having a fuel truck deliver it, and since the wood stove covers the lion's share of our heat load, we don't use but about 35-40 gallons a month anyways!

The furnace appears to really like it too (now that I put a new oil pump on it...was already failing before we moved in a year ago) The diesel fuel appears to burn cleaner than fuel oil.

One word of advice...buy you some diesel fuel treatment that supposed to treat fuel and keep it from gelling in cold weather. You can purchase it at any auto parts shop and just dump it into the tank. Goes a long ways towards keeping the heat going during "polar vortex" nights. Hopefully, won't have too many more, as we are supposed to get some warm temps next week here!
av-geek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to av-geek For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (02-14-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 12:44 AM   #6

Relax, a Yukon stove burns straight gasoline, the same gasoline we burned in the jeep.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
The furnace appears to really like it too (now that I put a new oil pump on it...was already failing before we moved in a year ago) The diesel fuel appears to burn cleaner than fuel oil.
Ayuh,.... Diesel fuel, 'n home heatin' oil, are Both #2 oil,....

The only difference is, home heatin' oil has dye added to it, so's if put into a truck fuel tank, the government can over charge ya TAXES on the fuel,....

Dye, 'n the Tax load is the Only difference,.....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

My brother is burning Kerosene in his. He had to change out the filter & put in a different Orifice. NY is taxing the heck out of Fuel oil, but he found out that Kerosene is not, and is around the same price as LPG in his area.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:17 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

av-geek, you should put in a Fuel/Water Separator, so that any water going through the line, will have to pass through the separator first. Then you just have to go each evening and dump any water, or gunk out.

The filter still goes in that unit, but you have a valve at the bottom, to let out the gunk and water.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 02-14-2014, 02:21 PM   #10

As a long time (now retired) fuel oil and diesel fuel dealer, I'd say you can use either #2 diesel, #2 fuel oil, or kerosene which is #1 oil. Most oil burners can use the kero, but check burner documentation just in case. Bondo is correct, in that diesel is the same as fuel oil except for the dye that IRS mandates in the diesel. That dye is just a way of separating the fuels which are taxed for highway taxes, and those that are not.
Ray103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #11

By the way, I would NOT use gasoline in an oil burner.
Ray103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
My brother is burning Kerosene in his. He had to change out the filter & put in a different Orifice. NY is taxing the heck out of Fuel oil, but he found out that Kerosene is not, and is around the same price as LPG in his area.
Kerosene is only 2,000 BTUs less heat per gallon then #2. So no real reason to change to a different nozzle when switching over to kerosene.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Kerosene is only 2,000 BTUs less heat per gallon then #2. So no real reason to change to a different nozzle when switching over to kerosene.
My brother did, to not use as much Kerosene, when running the furnace. It is actually running better with the new Orifice he said, then when it was using heating oil, and the Orifice he had in there, which was put in about two years ago.

Due to the prices in upstate NY, around Ft. Drum, he is looking at just going with a Propane furnace at this point, since LPG is the same cost as Kerosene.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:14 PM   #14
Hvac Pro

It is called a nozzle not orifice. One concern I would have is that oil burners are supposed to be setup with a combustion analyzer. If it is running too lean or rich it can create problems either way and he cannot tell w/o an analyzer. Food for thought in case he decides to keep it.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
It is called a nozzle not orifice. One concern I would have is that oil burners are supposed to be setup with a combustion analyzer. If it is running too lean or rich it can create problems either way and he cannot tell w/o an analyzer. Food for thought in case he decides to keep it.
Trust me, he knows what he is doing. He dealt with this kind of stuff in the Army, when he was in for 30 years. As for the analyzer, he actually has a guy at his church that took care of that.