Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

did I buy the wrong furnace?

I bought a Trane XV80 a year ago to replace my "CO leaking" Ruud. I'm thinking now that I should've bought one of their "high efficiency" furnaces since this thing seems to run most of the time. (I guess it's running on the 1st stage,I don't think the 2nd stage has kicked in yet)
am I right in thinking that a higher efficiency furnace would run less? the house is 4500 sq. ft. and is very "open". should my heating contractor have suggested one? I live in COLO. where it can get danged cold in the winter.

tnx,

analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #2

removing the stat off the subbase do you have a W1 and W2 wire connection from the furnace and how are your settings thru the day

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

80% units are very low maintain the the high 90%. 90% has a lot of drain tubes that need clear all the time. 90% or higher takes long to get pay back. 80% don't take that long ( If you pay right price). Plus parts for higher % cost more to replace then 80%. But 90% heat exchanger on some tranes are lifetime and 80% 15 to 20 only years
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #4

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP made very little sense, and the replies made even less.

What exactly do you want to know OP?

What kind of BTU's does your furnace deliver?

Rated efficiency has little to do with capacity or output. If your furnace is undersized that's one thing, but it's not a direct result of it's efficiency.
brandonmcginnis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brandonmcginnis For This Useful Post:
hvactech126 (12-04-2011), Marty S. (12-04-2011), yuri (12-04-2011)
Old 12-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 34

You are so right hvactech126, guess I missed my nap today, . sorry.

Last edited by joecaption; 12-04-2011 at 08:43 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
AKA HVACTECHFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
The higher the seer rating the less it cost per BTU to run the same lenght of time.
But a lower seer rated unit would run about the same amount of time to reach the set temperature, just cost more in electricity to get there.
Dirty filters, undersized new unit, would both cause it to run longer. If the old one ran fine, did they replace it with a lower tonage unit to beat someones price?
When they change the outside condenser did they also change the air exchanger?
Feel free to correct me Brandon if I'm wrong.
what are you talking about? The op has a GAS furnace!
Old 12-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #7

In amongst all that I think the OP's basic question is should the HVAC contractor also have offered him an option for a high efficiency furnace and not just an 80%.

I had a friend that got a new system (by coincidence also a Trane XV80 and 16i a/c) and when I asked him if the company offered him a 95% furnace option he just said, huh? Shopping for furnaces to do my own recent install I didn't see a lot of cost delta between the 80% and 95% furnaces (for equivalent levels of equipment) but installing the PVC venting was very labor intensive and might run up the cost a good bit. So do you guys usually not bother to quote high efficiency options for replacment systems to folks who have existing 80% and type B? Just curious....
raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #8

My boss quotes both. Most customers choose the 95% or better AFUE furnace with at least 2 stages.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
AKA HVACTECHFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
My boss quotes both. Most customers choose the 95% or better AFUE furnace with at least 2 stages.
same here.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #10

so will anybody answer whether a higher efficiency furnnace would run less or are you all going to continue "blathering"?

tnx,
analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 6

No. It simply costs less to run the same amount of time. That is the definition of "higher efficiency."
Doc Holliday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:23 AM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 20

60,000 BTUs from a 80% efficient furnace is the same as 60,000 BTUs from a higher efficiency furnace.

Your furnace has long run times because it is suppose to have long run times.

There are ways to shorten it though. First, is to simply jumper W1and W2 together. That way it will only run in first stage for 10 minutes then it will go to second stage. Doing this loses some of the comfort of the constant heat you get with it operating on a 2 stage thermostat, if it is indeed being controlled by the thermostat.

Next way, is to adjust the CPH setting of the thermostat to a higher number. If its set to 3, set it to 4 or 5.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:05 AM   #13

Exactly. And as Beenthere stated long runtimes with a correctly sized system will be cheaper than a bigger furnace that runs for a shorter time that has to cycle on/off more often. Longer runtime is also more comfortable since it keeps warm air moving longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
No. It simply costs less to run the same amount of time. That is the definition of "higher efficiency."
raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogmusicman View Post
so will anybody answer whether a higher efficiency furnnace would run less or are you all going to continue "blathering"?

tnx,
No efficiency doesn't matter.

You have a two stage furnace, which is designed to run longer at lower heat output levels.

(Worse yet are modulating furnaces which have variable output, they can run all the time at really low levels.)

Some people really hate that (long runs at lower heat), some people like quick bursts of heat and have the furnace shut off. Sounds like that is you. What you need is a single stage furnace. It may be possible to force the second stage to turn on immediatly, that would solve your problem. Not familar with your furnace though.
bungalow_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogmusicman

tnx,
Lets just put it this way. Before I went around this season, sealed any air leaks at outlets, put dap foam around our retro-fit windows, due to who ever did them before , when the orig. homeowner had them done, the hvac would cycle aboit every 15 min's., and would kick into 2nd stage.

Now I am lucky it cycles every hour, and will stay on sage 1 the whole cycle, which lasts about 15 min's. So the answer is yes, there is more involved, than just the hvac system.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote