Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Dialing in a new furnace

Can this be done by a diy'er?

MNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

Dialing in a new furnace

What are you looking to do exactly?

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

Dialing in a new furnace

Hello? What does "dialing in a new furnace" mean exactly?
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Holliday For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (10-17-2011)
Old 10-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #4

Dialing in a new furnace

The company from who I bought it from said I would need them to come once its up and running to dial in the settings. My understanding is adjust the head pressure ect because it a new furnace.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

Dialing in a new furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNice View Post
The company from who I bought it from said I would need them to come once its up and running to dial in the settings. My understanding is adjust the head pressure ect because it a new furnace.
In cooling mode this would be true, heating not so much. We're talking furnace, not heat pump right? So there is no head pressure at all, only in cooling mode. You don't put refrigerant gauges on a furnace, only a condenser and that condenser only runs in cooling mode. Refrigerant and air flow concerns pressures, head and low. In cooling mode the blower runs on high.

There really isn't any dialing in on heating mode. You have a temperature rise while the blower is on low speed and that's about it.

At this point I'd just let the guys who installed it come on back out as it's their job and they already said they will. Not to mention you paid for their time. And if you mess with anything it can lead to the voiding of warranties.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #6

Dialing in a new furnace

No they didn't do any install I did the install which makes it more money out my pocket. Hence the reason I asked, cause if they truly needed to come out then id fork out the $$$.But if it's not true then id start to wonder if he's tryin to take for a ride. Would there need to be adjustments on the burners?

And yes its a furnace. Comfort-aire 95% efficiency, 2 stage, dc variable speed blower.

Last edited by MNice; 10-17-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Dialing in a new furnace

You can do the final adjustment but you need manometer, thermometer etc. You need to check if the blower motor speed is correct for the CFM, static pressure etc.

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

Dialing in a new furnace

Quote:
No they didn't do any install I did the install which makes it more money out my pocket. Hence the reason I asked, cause if they truly needed to come out then id fork out the $$$.But if it's not true then id start to wonder if he's tryin to take for a ride. Would there need to be adjustments on the burners?

And yes its a furnace. Comfort-aire 95% efficiency, 2 stage, dc variable speed blower.

More than likely they are trying to get a bit of work (money) from the deal. If no refrigerant lines were opened, such as when an evaporator or condenser is replaced, and your system didn't have a refrigerant leak before hand then your pressures will most likely even out near the same as it was before. Not saying that it's a bad idea to have a company come out and check the entire system out both in heating and in cooling mode, they should do the basics such as gas and static pressure and WITH ALL COILS VERIFIED UNOBSTRUCTED OR DIRTY check the nominal charge, I'm just not certain that it'll make a difference if it already was and still is nominally charged and you have the correct temperaure drop in cooling and rise in heating. We'll never know unless they come out and know what they are doing.

You might find this useful, how to figure nominal charge, simplistic.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #9

Dialing in a new furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJboy View Post
You can do the final adjustment but you need manometer
Sarcasm?

The entire unit was relocated in our basement. We have new Furnace, Cased A-coil, Line set, & condenser. The AC is probably going to wait til spring to be in stalled. But with the weather cooling down the furnace is a must. The only thing im worried about right now is getting the furnace up and running for heat.

Last edited by MNice; 10-17-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Dialing in a new furnace

Quote:
Sarcasm?

The entire unit was relocated in our basement. We have new Furnace, Cased A-coil, Line set, & condenser. The AC is probably going to wait til spring to be in stalled. But with the weather cooling down the furnace is a must. The only thing im worried about right now is getting the furnace up and running for heat.

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

Dialing in a new furnace

Bare minimum start up on a new furnace should include setting gas pressure,setting blower speeds for temp rise( high is not always the correct speed for cooling nor is low always the correct speed for heating), checking static pressure,making sure the condensate drain works and making sure the flue is sized and supported correctly. A really good company will use a combustion analyzer to "dial in" for optimum performance.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty S. For This Useful Post:
MNice (10-17-2011)
Old 10-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #12
30 year tech

Rewards Points: 250

Dialing in a new furnace

You need the gas pressure checked along with the temperature rise.
The variable speed blower also needs to be set up and airflow varified.
If this is what they intend to do then I would have it done. Call and ask them.
hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hvac122 For This Useful Post:
MNice (10-17-2011)
Old 10-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #13
I'm Your Huckleberry

Dialing in a new furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
Bare minimum start up on a new furnace should include setting gas pressure,setting blower speeds for temp rise( high is not always the correct speed for cooling nor is low always the correct speed for heating), checking static pressure,making sure the condensate drain works and making sure the flue is sized and supported correctly. A really good company will use a combustion analyzer to "dial in" for optimum performance.
Are you saying that high is sometimes best for heating and low is sometimes best for cooling? Do tell..
Old 10-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,816

Dialing in a new furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Are you saying that high is sometimes best for heating and low is sometimes best for cooling? Do tell..
Many areas need far more heat then they need cooling. So they may have a 80,000 BTU furnace, and a 2 ton A/C. So they may need 1200 CFM for heating and only 800 CFM for cooling.

Gas furnace should be set up with a combustion analyzer.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #15
I'm Your Huckleberry

Dialing in a new furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Many areas need far more heat then they need cooling. So they may have a 80,000 BTU furnace, and a 2 ton A/C. So they may need 1200 CFM for heating and only 800 CFM for cooling.

Gas furnace should be set up with a combustion analyzer.
So the blower on heating mode is on high speed in that situation, is that correct? And the blower is on low for cool?