Dehumifier Vs A/C - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 254

Dehumifier vs A/C

Our basement stays quite reasonable in terms of temperature (in the summer... right now it's 69F down there, 72F upstairs which is conditioned, and 80+F outside), but gets pretty sticky. Even in non summer months it is still quite humid down there and a little bit stinky too. Sort of like a damp never gets completely dry sort of smell.

I had thought about one of these built in type dehumifiers that vents to outside. We also have a drain down there if such a device exists that drains, rather than vents.

Our A/C is in the attic and we currently don't have room to run a duct down. How effective are these and how do they do on energy consumption?

Advertisement

pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

Dehumifier vs A/C

I installed a Aprilaire 1700 whole house dehumidifier, tied it into the existing ductwork, the thing works great, 90 pints a day, does the whole house.

Advertisement

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Dehumifier vs A/C

I use a dehumidifier in our basement, there is a floor drain so I just plug the unit in near the drain and leave the drain hose off the unit sitting on top of the floor drain. Can't give you a cost to run though,not sure on mine anyway, but it would depend on what setting you use, how dry you want it to be and of course how old your unit is. You could look at the box stores and price one out, most units I've seen are set up to automactically shut off when full or you can add a drain hose to it and let it run into a floor drain.
after posting, I noticed the ads running on the right side of this page are for dehumidfiers, worth taking a look at,, good luck

Last edited by DUDE!; 06-08-2008 at 07:00 PM.
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,018

Dehumifier vs A/C

Definitely get at least a 50 pint model. Once you get the humidity stabilized, it won't have to work so hard. You'll probably find one around $150-200 for that size, but it wil be noisy. If money is no object, you can get a $1K model from Santa Fe.

The AC is designed to cool the house. Once the set temperature is achieved, it will shut off. Thus, even though the AC works at cooling the house, and removing moisture, it's not its primary purpose. That's why basements that don't have dehumidifiers feel cool and damp when the AC is on.

You need that dehumidifier to prevent mold from growing in your basement also. A bigger issue if the basement is not finished.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:32 AM   #5

Dehumifier vs A/C

We have no climate control in our basement whatsoever. So a system that hooks up to the ducts is not what we want. Something I don't have to empty is a must. If it drains, or exhausts outside that'll work.

It is finished, but we don't use it. We simply don't need it. It still bothers me that it is nasty down there and yes mold is a concern.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:59 PM   #6

Dehumifier vs A/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcampbell View Post
We have no climate control in our basement whatsoever. So a system that hooks up to the ducts is not what we want. Something I don't have to empty is a must. If it drains, or exhausts outside that'll work.

It is finished, but we don't use it. We simply don't need it. It still bothers me that it is nasty down there and yes mold is a concern.

Not having climate control is the main reason why you have a musky, stuffy basement. If you do not have a drain in the floor, you can purchase a dehumidifier that has a pump that will pump water out. Mold will grow out of control if you don't take care of it now. You're lucky for the moment that there are no ducts down there.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006N2O3C

http://www.allergybuyersclubshopping...pump.html?dfnt
Old 06-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

Dehumifier vs A/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcampbell View Post

Then just buy a dehumidifier and get a pump to remove the water, actually, some dehumidifiers have pumps built right in.

Last edited by chris75; 06-09-2008 at 05:08 PM.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Dehumifier vs A/C

I bought a $260 dehumidifier that drains into the drain and it has helped ALOT with that musty odor. currently we have water flooding our basement but when it's dry the dehumidifier keeps the smell under control and it feels much drier down there. We also don't really use ours except for storage/laundry.
annie68164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:28 PM   #9

Dehumifier vs A/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie68164 View Post
I bought a $260 dehumidifier that drains into the drain and it has helped ALOT with that musty odor. currently we have water flooding our basement but when it's dry the dehumidifier keeps the smell under control and it feels much drier down there. We also don't really use ours except for storage/laundry.
OH boy....you sound pretty cool for someone who currently has flooding in your basement.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:17 AM   #10

Dehumifier vs A/C

Sometimes you can't do anything about it? We are lucky we have 0 water in the basement. Around my town after a very bad rain (maybe 1-3 times a year) I see people with the hoses coming out of their basement window pumping it all out. What an awful situation. I would never tolerate that!!!
Old 06-16-2008, 08:55 AM   #11
Another DIY Zombie

Rewards Points: 250

Dehumifier vs A/C

We have water in our basement in 3 locations (one through the wall at the sump pump, then 2 through the wall behind our oil tanks. We bought a $150 model from Lowes that works well. The only negative drawback is that it just exhaust some heat. Granted, that is not too bad in the basement. I have a hose for mine, that runs straight to the sump. I find that if you have any water in the basement, you need a dehumidifier!

Good Luck.
javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:15 AM   #12

Dehumifier vs A/C

If the pump breaks while we are away is there typically a water level meter that will shut off the dehumidifier when it reaches a certain point?

We do not have a floor drain, but can I put in an attachment on the P trap like they have for dishwashers? Not sure if that will be low enough for gravity to do its trick.

Moisture is not out of control, it's just not perfect. So I am not sure about a Sante Fe or $$$ model.

Advertisement