Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #1

Share |

defrost

hi all i am new to this site any help u give me is appreciated.i have a york heat pump that will not go into the defrost mode.it is fully charged.i pulled to panel off to see the connections and noticed a red low voltage wire was loose.it looked as though it had been connected to another larger red wire at one time with a wirenut,all the other low voltage wires are connected to larger color wires with wirenuts.would this wire not being connected cause this unit not to defrost? if i connect it would it cause any damage.the unit works fine heating and cooling just wont defrost. thanks

motheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

defrost

gonna need a picture, or you to tell us what the wires go to.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #3

defrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
gonna need a picture, or you to tell us what the wires go to.
the small wire is from the thermostate and the larger red wire goes the the controll board.i reattacthed the wires together and the unit would not come on.disconnected them and it came right on.the thermo wire has 24 volts on it and the larger wire to to controll board is dead.i dont have a wiring diagram the one in it is so faded i cant read it.it is a york heat pump model # E1RA030506D
Old 03-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
AKA HVACTECHFW

defrost

is there a letter on the board that it goes to? red is typically 24V hot and is required for the control board in the HP to work properly, but we need to know what its function is.

Last edited by hvactech126; 03-08-2011 at 05:02 PM.
hvactech126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:36 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

defrost

Check where the red wire coming to the unit is connected in your inside unit. Normally that would be the 24 volt power supply to the defrost board. So it should be connected to the same terminal as the thermostats RC/RH terminal is connected to. But someone may not have followed "normal" wiring connections.
Could be that there is a short in the timing circuit of the defrost board. Or that that red wire coming to the unit has a short in it.

The ERA is staple of the York line. And has been around for a log time.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #6

defrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Check where the red wire coming to the unit is connected in your inside unit. Normally that would be the 24 volt power supply to the defrost board. So it should be connected to the same terminal as the thermostats RC/RH terminal is connected to. But someone may not have followed "normal" wiring connections.
Could be that there is a short in the timing circuit of the defrost board. Or that that red wire coming to the unit has a short in it.

The ERA is staple of the York line. And has been around for a log time.
i am going to kill power n a few and check all the wires from the thero in the house to the outside unit.i will get back to u later today and let u no where they are connected to on the control board thanks
Old 03-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #7

defrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
is there a letter on the board that it goes to? red is typically 24V hot and is required for the control board in the HP to work properly, but we need to know what its function is.

i will check ang get back to u today thanks for all the help