Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: york,s.c.
Posts: 4
Share |
Default

defrost


hi all i am new to this site any help u give me is appreciated.i have a york heat pump that will not go into the defrost mode.it is fully charged.i pulled to panel off to see the connections and noticed a red low voltage wire was loose.it looked as though it had been connected to another larger red wire at one time with a wirenut,all the other low voltage wires are connected to larger color wires with wirenuts.would this wire not being connected cause this unit not to defrost? if i connect it would it cause any damage.the unit works fine heating and cooling just wont defrost. thanks

motheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 2,317
Blog Entries: 1
Default

defrost


gonna need a picture, or you to tell us what the wires go to.

__________________
IT IS WHAT IT IS
hvactech126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: york,s.c.
Posts: 4
Default

defrost


Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
gonna need a picture, or you to tell us what the wires go to.
the small wire is from the thermostate and the larger red wire goes the the controll board.i reattacthed the wires together and the unit would not come on.disconnected them and it came right on.the thermo wire has 24 volts on it and the larger wire to to controll board is dead.i dont have a wiring diagram the one in it is so faded i cant read it.it is a york heat pump model # E1RA030506D
motheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
AKA HVACTECHFW
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 2,317
Blog Entries: 1
Default

defrost


is there a letter on the board that it goes to? red is typically 24V hot and is required for the control board in the HP to work properly, but we need to know what its function is.

__________________
IT IS WHAT IT IS

Last edited by hvactech126; 03-08-2011 at 05:02 PM.
hvactech126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:36 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 24,523
Default

defrost


Check where the red wire coming to the unit is connected in your inside unit. Normally that would be the 24 volt power supply to the defrost board. So it should be connected to the same terminal as the thermostats RC/RH terminal is connected to. But someone may not have followed "normal" wiring connections.
Could be that there is a short in the timing circuit of the defrost board. Or that that red wire coming to the unit has a short in it.

The ERA is staple of the York line. And has been around for a log time.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: york,s.c.
Posts: 4
Default

defrost


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Check where the red wire coming to the unit is connected in your inside unit. Normally that would be the 24 volt power supply to the defrost board. So it should be connected to the same terminal as the thermostats RC/RH terminal is connected to. But someone may not have followed "normal" wiring connections.
Could be that there is a short in the timing circuit of the defrost board. Or that that red wire coming to the unit has a short in it.

The ERA is staple of the York line. And has been around for a log time.
i am going to kill power n a few and check all the wires from the thero in the house to the outside unit.i will get back to u later today and let u no where they are connected to on the control board thanks
motheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: york,s.c.
Posts: 4
Default

defrost


Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
is there a letter on the board that it goes to? red is typically 24V hot and is required for the control board in the HP to work properly, but we need to know what its function is.

i will check ang get back to u today thanks for all the help

motheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help My Admiral Refrigerator is leaking water Cuwillis Appliances 10 03-25-2014 08:21 AM
Tempstar heat pump won't initiate defrost cycle lgmccoy1 HVAC 14 12-08-2011 06:07 PM
Using Gas heat during Defrost mgroves HVAC 15 12-18-2010 05:51 PM
Need help from control guys or heat pump gurus (reversing heat pump defrost cycle) pomelo HVAC 11 03-08-2010 08:13 PM
Kenmore fridge not cooling, freezer ok bobvanhalder HVAC 7 10-22-2008 10:52 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.