Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2007, 05:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

DC Blowers and Heating house w Blower

Good Day,
1) Can a variable speed DC blower (which I understand to be quite efficient) be added to a 15 y/o furnace that is curently equiped with an ac blower or do I have to get a new furnace?

2) I've read about all the benefits of keeping the blower on all the time, and of course the associated cost of power. I run it in the summer sometimes to equalize the temperature in the house. But I'm curious about doing this in the winter, but I live in Canada. So when I run the blower, I'm also pulling in fresh, but very cold air in from outside (about -20 celcius 10 degrees F???).

Is there a way I can circulate air in the house using the blower without bringing in Cold air? I understand the furnace needs the outside combustable air to work properly, but I'm concerned about circulation, while the furnace is not on. The house is a 2storey 15 y/o 1700sq ft.

Thanks Cam.

Last edited by CamL; 12-04-2007 at 06:54 PM.
CamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:07 PM   #2
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Rewards Points: 500

Hi CamL

To answer your first question, it is not that it can't be done but it is not cost effective at all. The best thing is to go to a new furnace, but when doing so they must make sure that the existing duct work is ample for the job. As far as running the blower continuous, this can be a good benefit for any furnace. However the D/C motor is much better for speed control and is less noticeable as far as cool air. If you are having issues with drawing in outside air you may want to have your return air duct checked for leakage. The return air on the furnace should be drawing the air inside the house unless the area you live in requires 10% fresh air in residential. Hope this helps with your question.

Good luck
Rusty

Old 12-04-2007, 07:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

thanks Rusty, I suppose I'm just like so many others, wanting to upgrade the system, but understanding the replacement cost will never cover the interim benefits. Have to wait until the furnace actually needs replacing.

Forum: Is there a way to tell if I'm drawing in too much/too little fresh air? I know the furnace is drawing from the inside of the house, especially from the intake in the basement, it's closest. It's harder to tell in the other parts of the house.
CamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to mrkool

CamL wrote, "So when I run the blower, I'm also pulling in fresh, but very cold air in from outside (about -20 celcius 10 degrees F???)."

Whooweey!! man you beter check again, pulling in that kind of air can be hazardous to the fuel bill, make a mortage look small.

There is a new add-on device that can turn your regular blower into a Variable Speed Blower, you can go here http://www.fanhandler.com/
and check it out, I'm installed a few and they're working fine for over a year now. But check on that fresh (freezing) air intake and maybe put a damper in it when it's below freezing.
mrkool is offline   Reply With Quote