Daughters New Apartment-no Heat At Registers - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 526

Daughters new apartment-no heat at registers

Daughter moved into nice apartment but having probs and maintance isnt going to listen or help.

My thoughts is furnace heats well,,,but air flow is almost non-existant, a klenex doesnt move when held right under wide open register in ceiling.

There are four registers across the length of apartment, two in living room,one each in bedroom on each end of living room. BOTH bedrooms get ice cold with doors shut. There are no return air in either.

These apartments are 20-30 years old and allow large pets and dogs. hence more 'hair' etc.. When opening furnace no filter,,,tenants dont waste money on filters.

Thinking fan and or bottom of 'a' coil is packed full of dirt and hair and doesnt allow any flow out of furnace into duct. I took off panel in front of coil and very little air comes out when on and fan running,,,confirming my thoughts.

The TOP of the coil is ONLY visible,,how is best way to check and clean coil? And would fan be cleaned also? There is another metal panel over inside, of coil,,can that be safely removed for cleaning access?

Can anything be seen my removing cold air register and looking up thru furnace?

Advertisement

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 506

Ok a couple of things to look into:
1) Ensure your thermostat is set to the heating position not the cooling or is turned off.
2) Increase your thermostat a few degrees to see if your heating system activates.
3) Remove anything that might block warm air registers like furniture, drapes or rugs.
4) Check your fuse or circuit breaker either in your apartment or the main downstairs if you can.
5) Put in a new filter.
6) Clean out ducts of any debris.
7) Call maintenance and complain about your situation and follow up until you resolve the problem.

Advertisement

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4just1don View Post
Daughter moved into nice apartment but having probs and maintance isnt going to listen or help.

My thoughts is furnace heats well,,,but air flow is almost non-existant, a klenex doesnt move when held right under wide open register in ceiling.

There are four registers across the length of apartment, two in living room,one each in bedroom on each end of living room. BOTH bedrooms get ice cold with doors shut. There are no return air in either.

These apartments are 20-30 years old and allow large pets and dogs. hence more 'hair' etc.. When opening furnace no filter,,,tenants dont waste money on filters.

Thinking fan and or bottom of 'a' coil is packed full of dirt and hair and doesnt allow any flow out of furnace into duct. I took off panel in front of coil and very little air comes out when on and fan running,,,confirming my thoughts.

The TOP of the coil is ONLY visible,,how is best way to check and clean coil? And would fan be cleaned also? There is another metal panel over inside, of coil,,can that be safely removed for cleaning access?

Can anything be seen my removing cold air register and looking up thru furnace?
You are on track. I'd almost bet money your A coil is plugged.

You have to be able to access the front or rear of the A coil to do a good job.
First get a feel for the amount of air passing thru the A coil (use the kleenex over the top of the coil to compare after cleaning.
There will be a triangular plate held on by screws. Remove screws and pull the triangular plate off. You may need to flex the plate or even bend it a bit to get it out. Do so, it wont hurt the plate. Use a bright light and inspect the under side of the coil. You will probably find a build up as thick as a piece of carpet. If a coil is this dirty foam cleaner had never worked for me. Use a stiff long bristle brush to clean the thick dirt off. Use a large shop vac to catch the dirt that falls off.
You can apply a commercial cleaner or degreaser if you need it (sometimes coils are sticky from smokers or cooking oils and need to be degreasered).
Reinstall the plate. If the air flow is visibly blowing harder the coil is now eliminated as the cause.

If the air flow is still not good you may have flex duct disconnected in ceiling space,

One thing about ceiling air supply systems: Registers move air more quickly than diffusers. Make sure of which one you have.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 526

Did I mention the furnace works fine,,cept not very efficently. The heat is all in center of apartment and radiates out from the furnace like a space heater,,,nothing out the furnace ducts and registers.
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by epson View Post
Ok a couple of things to look into:
1) Ensure your thermostat is set to the heating position not the cooling or is turned off.
2) Increase your thermostat a few degrees to see if your heating system activates.
3) Remove anything that might block warm air registers like furniture, drapes or rugs.
4) Check your fuse or circuit breaker either in your apartment or the main downstairs if you can.
5) Put in a new filter.
6) Clean out ducts of any debris.
7) Call maintenance and complain about your situation and follow up until you resolve the problem.
This is good as regular maintenance advice.
But like the man says maintenance man isn't listening. Some times even the nicest apartment have uninformed staff doing all the repairs.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4just1don View Post
Did I mention the furnace works fine,,cept not very efficently. The heat is all in center of apartment and radiates out from the furnace like a space heater,,,nothing out the furnace ducts and registers.
You should also make sure furnace blower is working full speed and the blower wheel is clean too.

Advertisement