Data Communicating System. - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,220

Data communicating system.

Got one going in tomorrow!!

Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

great system. The controller board is very sensitive. Be careful with the connections.

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum

Advertisement

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

Thanks for the tip! It's an Amana 16 SEER R410-A, 80% upflow variable speed with a two stage condenser and data communicating thermostat. I've been on the phone with my old college instructor who is Goodman's lead technical advisor down here (David Lupkes if you know him). He's been giving me the low down on it all. I need to make sure this thing goes in without a glitch! First one on my own. In crews I've done them but I wasn't the lead guy back then.

My biggest concern was how many control wires to each piece of equipment. Turns out it's only four to each, R C 1 and 2. The r and c being the voltage as usual and the 1 and 2 being the data communicating wires.

Good tip for when replacing the condenser and there's only two existing wires running outside and you "need" four: add a 230 to 24 volt step down transformer in the condenser and using your 240 volts simply feed the condenser control board 24 volts through that, keeping it hot at all times so before the contactor, and then use the two existing control wires as your data wires to the furnace.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

One more thing before my head explodes with excitement, the guys at Goodman really messed me up. I've been pricing this equipment back and forth for over a month. When the time finally came and I had a written and signed job proposal going by the numbers Goodman had given me for AMANA equipment cost and went to order it all it turned out that they had quoted me the GOODMAN 16 seer, not the AMANA which I'd been talking about (or so I thought) with them since the beginning. Difference is the Goodman only has the lifetime compressor warranty, AMANA if the compressor goes out they replace the entire condenser. The customer really wanted and liked the entire condenser option as their compressor went out on their old unit, it's what sold the job to begin with. That's a $1000.00 difference in cost to me between the two systems and warranties. I was furious as again, my now SIGNED job proposal says AMANA and lifetime CONDENSER warranty all over it and I wasn't about to lose a grand.

Although this is coming out of my bottom end, Goodman ended up giving me the AMANA system for maybe $120.00 more then the Goodman so SCOREBOARD ME!!

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 10-18-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

Scoreboard customer, actually.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #6

yes just 4 wires to connect everything. all setup up is on the thermostat. take a look on the manual first. we can get lost very easy in the thermostat.

some times you have to have extra 2 wires between thermostat and furnace for Em Heat

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #7

pump down these system you need disconnect low pressure swich and add a jumper to be able to go down with pump down. But you still need to stop at 25psig......you talk about these later.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJboy View Post
yes just 4 wires to connect everything. all setup up is on the thermostat. take a look on the manual first. we can get lost very easy in the thermostat.

some times you have to have extra 2 wires between thermostat and furnace for Em Heat

Gas furnace, no electric emergency. I was told no programming or anything, just plug in and turn on.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Gas furnace, no electric emergency. I was told no programming or anything, just plug in and turn on.
If your just slapping it in, then its complete PnP.

If your installing a comfort system, then you set up for proper air flow, which means setting blower speeds.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
I'm Your Huckleberry

What's PnP, plug and play? I was just told I don't need to do anything, no dip switch adjustments and no thermostat programming.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

yep, Plug and Play.

The stat over rides the factory default furnace settings. The stat will know what its connected to. But it on't know if you want to run 400, 450, or 350 CFM per ton.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
I'm Your Huckleberry

What's the cfm going to be per ton or rather how will it know?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

You have to tell it what to move. CFM is suppose to be determined by the SHR the home needs.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #14
I'm Your Huckleberry

Being a 3 ton it simply won't figure it out on it's own? Why was told I didn't have to do anything is what I'm getting at? Old system was a 3 ton condenser on a 2.5 ton blower. 16 seer systems do not come in half tons. Once again, I was told to simply plug and play.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #15
An old Tradesmen

It will figure out that its on a 3 ton system, and it will go to 400 CFM per ton. It can't read minds, nor will it know that the old system was only moving 333 CFM per ton. You have to set it up for that.

Its not like its gonna take a day to set it up.

You were probably told that, cause they like to sell boxes, and and the counter guys probably don't care if its set up right or not.

Even the Carrier Infinity control needs to be told if you want to move 400 or 350 CFM per ton.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
hvactech126 (10-27-2012)