Cycle Lights Off A HW Boiler Stat - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000

cycle lights off a HW boiler stat

wired in the circulator and the hi limit to see the boiler and how it runs as the temps change.... ... hvac techs like to tweek systems

Advertisement

Last edited by biggles; 12-19-2013 at 09:48 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,576

I'm guessing the timers to track run times are down at the boiler.

Advertisement

Old 12-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

that was a thought....how about this trick coil up 3/4 soft copper like a giant truck spring.... slide it on the static flue pipe out of the boiler.pipe the return up to it with a 3-way valve and a TC-1 strapped to that return leaving the coil to pick up those BTUs going up the flue.good way to squeeze the last bit of heat out of a cycle...I won't touch that till spring if I ever get motivated.it would satisfy the burner TC-1 for sure,and just the circ.will run called from the house stat
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,278

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
that was a thought....how about this trick coil up 3/4 soft copper like a giant truck spring.... slide it on the static flue pipe out of the boiler.pipe the return up to it with a 3-way valve and a TC-1 strapped to that return leaving the coil to pick up those BTUs going up the flue.good way to squeeze the last bit of heat out of a cycle...I won't touch that till spring if I ever get motivated.it would satisfy the burner TC-1 for sure,and just the circ.will run called from the house stat
Ayuh,.... That sounds good in theory, but in real life it can bite ya, Badly,...

Robbin' All the heat outa the stack, slows or stops the gases Upward movement,...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 524

careful how much heat you pull out of the stack. Too much temp drop and you will start condensating the water out of the flue gasses.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,576

Condensation would be a concern.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
They already invented this..... it's called a condensing boiler. And they come with powered exhaust and use stainless steel venting or PVC. The powered exhaust to ensure proper draft and removal of flue gases from the unit and the SS and PVC because once cooled down to the condensation point, the moisture is very corrosive.

Advertisement

old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote