Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #1

Share |

Cutting galvanized pipe

Hi;
I need to cut a piece out of an 8" x 24" galvanized vent pipe. I don't have a tin shears. Can I use a metal cutting hacksaw?
I just don't want to have to buy a tool just for this one job. It's for installation of a through-the-wall exhaust fan where the wall is a few inches too thick for the fan kit, so I need to add a section of pipe between the inside and outside sleeves.

Thanks

FW

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #2

Cutting galvanized pipe

Doubt you'll get a clean or straight cut using a hack saw. A pair of snips is the tool for the job and they're only a few bucks.

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

Cutting galvanized pipe

Yep. Even a no name generic pair from HDepot costs around $20. Then rent them out to your buddies and voila they are paid for.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #4

Cutting galvanized pipe

OK. So I'll get the tin snips. They will probably come in handy again someday anyway.
$13.98 at HD. I guess I should have picked up a pair when I bought the pipe yesterday. I was kind of in a fog. I often feel that way when I'm at Home Depot...
Thanks

FW

Last edited by KE2KB; 04-02-2011 at 09:03 AM.
KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
Hvac Pro

Cutting galvanized pipe

Like a kid in a candy store going in there. I have a brand new home that does not need fixing or anything but I have enough construction tools to build a new one. Go Figure.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #6

Cutting galvanized pipe

Please explain what tin shears are. I need to cut some 3/4" galvanized pipe and am not sure what to use. I thought that galvanized was harder to cut than using shears, or is it a special tool?? I know how to cut copper and have a sawsall with metal blade (but wondering how to get a smooth cut with the sawsall). I need this for a closet pole. I did a built-in closet for one of my clients and used 1 1/4" curtain rods for the poles (because they looked good) but ended up not being strong enough. She has sooooo many clothes stuffed into a small closet that the rod broke. I felt that metal would hold up to her stuffing. I am also concerned about the sockets (round plastic with one screw in the middle going into MDF).

Any suggestions?????????????????? I do know this is not totally a plumbing issue but am hoping for help. Please direct me if I need to post this to another heading.

Thanks
Mickey
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
Sparky

Cutting galvanized pipe

OP wa taking about galvanized ductwork, Your best tool would be a tubing cutter like you would us with copper.
Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #8

Cutting galvanized pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1951mm
Please explain what tin shears are. I need to cut some 3/4" galvanized pipe and am not sure what to use. I thought that galvanized was harder to cut than using shears, or is it a special tool?? I know how to cut copper and have a sawsall with metal blade (but wondering how to get a smooth cut with the sawsall). I need this for a closet pole. I did a built-in closet for one of my clients and used 1 1/4" curtain rods for the poles (because they looked good) but ended up not being strong enough. She has sooooo many clothes stuffed into a small closet that the rod broke. I felt that metal would hold up to her stuffing. I am also concerned about the sockets (round plastic with one screw in the middle going into MDF).

Any suggestions?????????????????? I do know this is not totally a plumbing issue but am hoping for help. Please direct me if I need to post this to another heading.

Thanks
Mickey
What you want to do is have a piece of pipe cut at the store. Take a 2x4 block and drill a hole for the pipe to fit into. Do this for both sides. You can also make a center support like this. Mount one block to the wall (make sure you get into a stud) slide the center support block and other side block onto the pipe and position the pipe. Most closet walls are inset from the door so the pipe has to go in at an angle. Mount second side block and center support if necessary.
You can sand the pipe down with metal sand paper and give it a couple of coats of appliance (epoxy) paint. It will help the hangers slide easier and give a nice look.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #9
Tileguy

Cutting galvanized pipe

Quote:
Please explain what tin shears are. I need to cut some 3/4" galvanized pipe and am not sure what to use.....
Mickey before you go too far and have another failure tell us how long this closet poll needs to be.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
Tileguy

Cutting galvanized pipe

Quote:

Thanks
Mickey

Mickey has started her own thread below:
Cutting Galvanized Pipe