Cut To Fit Fiberglass Filters - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cut to Fit fiberglass filters

When I had my heatpump installed, the installer re-did my furnace filter access. The problem is, I need an ~19 x 24 x 1 filter size, but the access door they gave me is only 15 inches wide and a single filter can't even fit in diagonally.

The installers left me with 2 -10x24 disposable filters to use. After 2 months, I replaced them with the WEB brand washable/re-sizeable filters available at home depot, cut down to 2 - 9 1/2 x 24" sizes.

I found this American Air Filters cut to fit on ebay. It would solve my fitment problem and would be very inexpensive. I'm a bit concerned about the air flow with the WEB filter, that's why I'm thinking to switch to cheap disposables.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110650967917

We don't have any allergies, so we've never used a "high quality" filter before. To me the filter pretty much only protects the furnace. There is no mention of MERV rating on the cut to fit.

Any opinions on this filter method?

I guess I would have to retrofit some cross beams so the filter can lay flat as the air blows through, or do people usually put them in a frame? (which would not help my access size)

Advertisement

GEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 266

Cut to Fit fiberglass filters

You can get metal frames made to hold the filter matterial in whatever size you want and then you just cut as much as you need off the roll and replace it as needed. You could get a local wholesaler or HVAC company to order the frames for you. Depends how good of a quality of filter you are looking for. The product you showed is about a MERV 4 or 5 rating, which will basically keep out larger dust and debris with a typical efficiency of about 70-80%. There is a tighter weave poly type roll filter (similar roll style) with an sticky oil film that would be a bit better for catching dust etc. if that were a concern.

Advertisement

HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote