Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Cumberland outdoor unit not coming on

Hi I am new to is board but have found a lot of good info. I believe the unit is from 2002 and there is a flashing light on the circuit board. Any ideas what is going on? Let me know what additional info I need to provide.

*I hear a buzz but the fan will not kick on.

Last edited by Xmc_1978; 08-07-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Add info
Xmc_1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 22

Fan run capacitor or fan motor, or both but usually just one and hopefully just the cap. You have a digital meter that reads microfarads?

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

Unfortunately I do not. What brand meter should I purchase?
Xmc_1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

You can check the amp draw with a cheap meter of the fan or the continuity of the motor windings with any old cheap meter that has amp and ohms.

What you can do also is stick a thin stick or screwdriver into the fan and try and spin the blades, make sure you try and spin them in the proper direction. Now if the power to the unit is on then you'll have to be quick to remove whatver prod you are using. If the fan tries to spin and possibly even gets close to full speed than I'd check the run cap. If the fan is locked up, siezed and does not spin (with or without the power on to the unit so I mean high voltage from the breaker/disconnect, not just the stat being off) then most likely that is the problem, the fan is bad. Try spinning it with the power on and with it off. Also check for oil stains on the casing. Is the top of the condenser, the lid, extremely hot to the touch when the call for cool is on and the fan is not spinning? Tell tale signs.

If the fan does spin freely (with the power off and in either direction) than I'd get the numbers from the run capacitor and simply change that and see what happens.

Discharge that cap and make sure the power to the unit is OFF before unwiring it and installing the new one. A new fan run cap would cost around $10. A new meter that reads mfd, amps, ohms, continuity, etc., would cost around $75-$100 on sale, easy.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

Clarification: when the entire system is calling for cool the fan should be spinning. If you stick a prod into the unit to try and spin the fan while on call for cool, spin it ONLY in the direction that it normally should spin. Check the pitch of the fan blades to determine which direction is correct, the air should be being pushed upward and out of the condenser.

With the breaker to the condensing unit in the off position you can try and spin it either direction and it should spin freely. If at all it gives noticable resistance to being spun then it's most likely fried, the bearings are shot.