Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2008, 12:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

A/C's in Connecticut

New to the forum! Hello everyone, I am moving to the state of CT next month. During my search for a rental home I discovered that installed A/C units in homes, are pretty rare. I fully understand why but had never thought about it. I live in Florida and as we all know A/C's are a must have. The home I have rented has no A/C. If I decide next summer than I need an A/C...
Question: Would it make sense to but a portable unit/window unit, etc?
If so, is it going to put a huge strain on my electric bill? I'm thinking that if I do decide to buy a unit, I could easily get by with no more than 10,000BTU's to cool the house, mainly the first floor (upstairs are 2 small spare bedrooms that won't hardly be used(office will be in one of the rooms)
Any thoughts, recommendations, ideas will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
One more thing...do all portable units have a discharge duct?

melaluca02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

A/C's in Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaluca02 View Post
New to the forum! Hello everyone, I am moving to the state of CT next month. During my search for a rental home I discovered that installed A/C units in homes, are pretty rare. I fully understand why but had never thought about it. I live in Florida and as we all know A/C's are a must have. The home I have rented has no A/C. If I decide next summer than I need an A/C...
Question: Would it make sense to but a portable unit/window unit, etc?
If so, is it going to put a huge strain on my electric bill? I'm thinking that if I do decide to buy a unit, I could easily get by with no more than 10,000BTU's to cool the house, mainly the first floor (upstairs are 2 small spare bedrooms that won't hardly be used(office will be in one of the rooms)
Any thoughts, recommendations, ideas will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
One more thing...do all portable units have a discharge duct?

Connecticut is not Florida, you will not melt without one either..... this summer you really only needed A/C for 3 or 4 days tops...

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

A/C's in Connecticut

central air are very common in ct . in a house built in the last 15 years or in the 300k and up they are standard and expected. we average about 20 90 and up days and a ton of mid 80's with high humidity.it may not be as standard as fl. obvousily but if its not there you'll have those window units out for sure
-torrington ct
geo fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

A/C's in Connecticut

I know how important it is to have a central air conditioning system. Then realized in Connecticut they are rare. When choosing a place in that state when I go it must have a cooling system.

John

Connecticut Drug Addiction
pro176 is offline   Reply With Quote