Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cracked Heat Exchanger

I live in a townhouse that I rent from a coorporation that I have learned over the past 3 years does not mainatain the major components properly. I have discovered many heating/cooling issues that are a direct result of not properly maintaining equiptment. My point in telling you this is to explain why I do not trust the staff.

Here is my problem, a professional HAVC company came in and did a check on my heating/cooling system and along with many things that need to be fixed they told me that the heat exchanger is cracked and they were going to quote the landlord to fix it. The maintence superviosr then came and told me he didn't believe the professional that came and he was going to get a second opinion before he makes any decisions.

What i want to know is can I look at this furnace and see a crack? If so what exactly am I looking for. I have taken some pictures and it is very very rusted but I did not see cracks.

Without going into huge detail I will give you an example of the dangerous practices theyhave done in the past. For 6 months until I complained several times they had my clothes dryer venting into the same vent as my stove/microwave and when I ran the clothes dryer lint came out my microwave. They have also been using regular duct tape on the duct work in the basement for major leakes that allow huge amounts of cold/hot air to flow into the basement. Is there a web site where I can post a picture and soemone can look at that and tell me if there is a crack in the heat exchanger?

Burkett14527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,002

Cracked Heat Exchanger

Use photobucket for online picture hosting. I doubt that we will be able to see anything in your pictures, but you never know.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,000

Cracked Heat Exchanger

What brand of furnace?
Old 07-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,026

Cracked Heat Exchanger

Turn the furnace on and put a carbon monoxide detector near one of the first floor vents (not that far a branch from the furnace). Run it for at least ten minutes. A cracked heat exchanger is hazardous because of this.

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-14-2012 at 10:47 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:51 PM   #5
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Cracked Heat Exchanger

Its possible to see a crack long before it blows open and starts dumping into the plenum/vents .
I went through this with our local trane supplier in omaha ne years ago(oconner co)
They would argue that it wasnt cracked under warranty till it was blown out completely so when Id take them a cracked heat exchanger in to get the warranty credit for it Id circle the crack on outside with a big ol sharpie.
I told them I wasnt going to be responsible for somebody dying just because they wanted to be cheap and not stand behind a major design flaw in their 80% furnaces!

Last edited by plummen; 07-15-2012 at 11:12 AM.
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #6

Cracked Heat Exchanger

remove the burner access panel so your viewing the burners,call the heat in from the sta and watch the flame come up on the burner.just when the supply fan comes on for the heating cycle see if there is a deflection in the flame...like blowing on a stove top burner.if you see no flame bouncing might be a minimal crack but any major flames waving the fan air/pressure is entering the burner section..indicating a major crack

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote