Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #1

Share |

Covering an Outdoor Condensing Unit

Hi,
I have an outdoor condensing unit on my back patio. It is only used during the summer when the air conditioning unit is on, 4 months max. The unit gets quite dirty due to the many trees we have in our area and the Evergreen Elm I have on the back patio. I do spray the unit down with the hose.

I would like to extend the life of the unit by purchasing a cover. Is this a good idea? I have read conflicting information.

Thanks,

Sycamore Inn

Sycamore Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #2

Hi . its a personal preference i do alot commerical hvac and there units run all yr round and are in the weather elements and do not get covered , yes it will extend look of unit but will not extend the mechanical life of the unit , Keep up the maintaince you doing on condensor coil/unit

hvac dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #3

I don't do any maintenance on the unit. What type of maintenance should be done?
Old 09-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #4

Spraying it with hose and water keeping condesor coil free of dirt grass leaves ect
Old 09-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #5

Sorry , and a major spring inspection just to make sure all electrical components are in good shape
Old 09-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #6

I think I read some place that covering the entire unit with a non-breathing material will possibly trap moisture inside and speed up the rusting process.

One HVAC tech suggested placing a piece of PT plywood on top to prevent stuff from falling in but leave everything open as it was designed to be located outside all year around.
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #7

covering the top will add to the life of the condenser fan motor in heavy rain/snow areas especially when it sits til the next spring start up.if you have drift snow i would wrap it up to keep the melt away.give it a good hose washing from inside out cleaning all the leaves and muck from the compressor base(remove the top and slide off to the side reaching down ...easy on the hose don't need to blast it..Grainger has mild coil cleaners to spray on the "DRY" coil then let it sit to work in and comes out nice and clean.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #8

I know my neighbor covers his unit so I will talk to him as well. Most of the covers they sell today are breathable and designed for the unit. The unit sits on concrete and I spray around it often, so it gets pretty dirty. Here in Southern California we don't get snow, some rain, and our good share of wind, dirt, and leaves. I can get a piece of plywood that would be easy.

Thanks for the replies
Old 09-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

I just take an old shower curtain, that just covers the top of the unit, and secure with old magnets from a couple of old hard drives, or bungee it on, leaving the sides uncovered.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote