A Couple Of Venting Questions - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

a couple of venting questions

hope you guys can help. just purchased our first house,a straight ranch slab house in mass.i have noticed some things now that the colder weather has arrived.
1. the dryer is vented into the attic and then over to the soffet.its about 4 inches from the soffet vent for the attic.now i notice when the dryer runs for a while the vent drips from the condensation outside. is this normal or is this dryer vent too close to the soffet vent for the attic?

2.we have central air,i noticed that the heat comes out of the vents close to the floor but i have a big vent on the hallway ceiling that sucks air when the heat is on.since heat rises isn't this vent sucking hot air back into the system?

3. there is a pvc stack out of the roof with an elbow at the end.i noticed now that when the heat is on condensation comes out of the end so im assuming thats the exhaust for the furnace, we have all gas.when the furnace stops for a while i notice a icicle hanging off the end, is this normal,

any info would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Advertisement

campingbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,704

It draws the warmest air back in, which is good in a way, since it gets it off of the ceiling and circulating through the house. Normal for it to get an icicle.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
Items wanted: Time

Rewards Points: 150

the dryer should be piped to the outside. Condensation in the attic will surely cause mold.

supplies on the floor and return on the ceiling is fine.

condensation at the pvc elbow is normal.
NiNe O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

thanks for the info,noticed that the bathroom vent is venting right into the attic so looks like another project.....
campingbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 266

You might want to look in the attic near where the dryer vent exits. If you see dark staining on the roof boards or other moisture indications in that area you should probably look at relocating the dryer vent or blocking off the attic vents near it.
old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote