Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Cost of installing Attic Furnace in new construction

I have added a 2nd story to my home. The footprint is 25x50, approx 1250 sf, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms. We are planning to install an attic furnace, gas, 80%. One contractor that is bidding the job says he plans on 7 duct outlets. He plans to suspend the furnace. He needs to bring the gas line up and the electrician needs to provide power.

I need a ballpark cost of what to expect to pay for the furnace, the duct work and installation costs. I have no idea and can't get any help from calling HVAC contractors in my area. They all want to come out. That's fine, but I need to budget first.

Long story short, this furnace was included in an original total project bid, but I've had 2 contractors (one is a "master builder assoc." member) take off with about 50 thousand dollars, and now I'm re-bidding this work, but with far less money. I just need an idea of costs so I can plan other aspects of this project. I'm in the Pacific NW, if costs matter by region.

Thanks.

marejw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
Union HVAC Tech.

Rewards Points: 500

$10-12 thousand.

bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Yeeks! I was hoping a little less so this is good for me to know. I'd rather arrange my budget for more and end up paying less, than the other way around. The attic furnaces I've seen are between $1500 and $2400, but I really had no idea what the duct work and installation cost could be. Thanks for responding.
marejw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Union HVAC Tech.

Rewards Points: 500

If you mean horizontal furnaces, yeah that is a ballpark price. Just stay with the 80%'s for an attic install to avoid condensate freeze issues with a 90% plus.
bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote