Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2011, 09:26 AM   #1

Share |

corroded duct work

I came upon a 6" duct feeding a bathroom, the boot and all the joints from the room to the furnace are rusted. On the cement floor, directly below the boot, there is a clear oily substance. There is a copper water line directly under the boot, it has a build up of a somewhat soft substance on it, from something dripping on it. No dissimilar metals are touching it. The homeowner said that the bathroom hasn't flooded. The only thing I saw that wasn't right with the furnace was a damper set to it labeled summer position, I turned it to the winter position. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

zipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
DIY staff

corroded duct work

Zipster---I mover this to HVAC for you--those fellows (and gals) see ore rusty ducts than the plumbers---Mike---

zipster (12-18-2011)
Old 12-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
how

corroded duct work

Pictures would help.
Is the furnace vent in the ceiling or on the floor of the bathroom? Does this bathroom have an exhaust fan? Are there condensation issues or just sloppy shower conditions?

I've also seen some pipe holes that are so small that it takes a hand over the spray area 5 minutes to get moist.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to how For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-18-2011)
Old 12-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #4

corroded duct work

need a picture to see how we can help...
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:57 AM   #5

corroded duct work

The vent is in the floor of the bathroom, it is a well kept bathroom with a fan. Sorry I can't get pictures, is it possible for a hvac system to produce anything other than condensation? ( refuring to the substance on the basement floor)
I "m pretty sure that the run from the furness to the floor vent is the shortest one. The homeowner said it has only been on the floor for 2 weeks,but by the look of the rust/corrosion it would seem longer. When I looked at it yesterday, no drips or dampness were on the ducts. The only thing I can think of is something was spilled down the vent and has since dryed.
zipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:01 AM   #6

corroded duct work

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipster View Post
The vent is in the floor of the bathroom, it is a well kept bathroom with a fan. Sorry I can't get pictures, is it possible for a hvac system to produce anything other than condensation? ( refuring to the substance on the basement floor)
I "m pretty sure that the run from the furness to the floor vent is the shortest one. The homeowner said it has only been on the floor for 2 weeks,but by the look of the rust/corrosion it would seem longer. When I looked at it yesterday, no drips or dampness were on the ducts. The only thing I can think of is something was spilled down the vent and has since dryed.
yes thats possible something spilled from bathroom....nothing in duct other than condensation...

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote